AMD Opteron 6128... really cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Saw the Opteron 6128's are now $95 OBO on ebay. 8 Magny Cours Cores at 2GHz.

Not the fastest, but you can pick two up and have access to 2P or 4P boards with 8 DIMM sockets per CPU (and they accept Registered ECC DIMMs). If you just want a machine with a lot of RAM these are pretty decent CPUs. I settled on these for my 2P Opteron 6128 system. 8x 4GB is a very inexpensive way to hit 32GB of RAM for ESXi.

Not sure what they are accepting, but seem to have quite a few and at under $190 for two they might make a good deal.

Here is a 4P G34 motherboard + chassis currently at around $700.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I mentioned that chassis over at the DC forum at Hardocp. They noticed a few bent pins in one of the sockets.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I see that first socket picture might be a bent pin, but not sure. Socket pictures are a bit tricky with lighting. Still less bent than one of the open box Newegg specials I fixed (very steady hand that evening.) Good potential warning though.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Sweet! That is awesome. If you can get a deal on a 2P or 4P motherboard that makes a high-memory configuration very affordable.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I picked up that four-slot G34 Supermicro 2042 on eBay. At $910 for the complete barebones server it was a deal - but not quite an incredible deal. It does match my existing 2042 which has its benefits when clustering. My data warehouse environment now stands at 116 cores, counting the 16-core (32 thread) machine that I'm testing!

I used a zoom lens camera to look for bent pins. There are a few pins that appear "different" than others visually but under magnification they are just offset by a microscopic amount, not significantly bent. The machine boots just fine, but I'll be running a SiSoft burn-in to be sure.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Awesome dba! In my experience, really bent pins = no post/ boot. I purchased two used G34 boards from Newegg with bent pins. Was able to re-bend back into place and even without being perfect, still ran Folding@Home for a few months on it without issues.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Awesome dba! In my experience, really bent pins = no post/ boot. I purchased two used G34 boards from Newegg with bent pins. Was able to re-bend back into place and even without being perfect, still ran Folding@Home for a few months on it without issues.
A good amount of pins is used for power supply, so if one of those are bend you might be lucky and not notice anything different at all.