AMD GPU and passthrough issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CheatingLiar

Jan 20, 2022
I need to redo my kvm server (going from centos8 to debian; we will not talk about that), but I do not think that is the issue. I have an ancient AMD Radeon PRO WX 3100 GPU which I notice when I pci passthrough it to a vm guest, it does so rather well. However, when I restart the vm, I no longer have access to said GPU. Shutting the guest completely down also does not release the GPU.

Searching for info on this (I need to find it again) online mentioned that is a known issue with amd gpus (not only this old one) and I will need to reboot the entire kvm server to allow the gpu to be used again. Is that still the case?

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I’ve run into this issue with various FirePro/Radeon Pro GPUs and never found a fix.

However, I have several ancient FirePro W7000 cards passed through to Windows VMs on Proxmox nodes, working flawlessly.

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
...However, when I restart the vm, I no longer have access to said GPU. Shutting the guest completely down also does not release the GPU....
Its the "reset bug" which many cards are affected. You probably search for solutions, but most of the "reset-bug-cards" cant be worked around.

Reactions: ectoplasmosis