AMD ES ZS1406E2VJUG5 microcode version?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Okay i got to retract that, seems more like someone didn't bother taking the old unused stuff out. This Bios is a utter mess, maybe thats the reason why it's not posting :p

I don't think your chip is dead, pretty sure it's just a issue with the H11 Boards and Rome ES CPUs.
Verkaufen ist -! AMD epyc 7702 es 2 S 1404 E 2 vjug 5 1.4ghz 64c Sockel sp3 7nm | eBay

This seller for example says that the chips are only compatible with the H12DST-b, altough his chips are not in a good physical condition.
My chip is in good condition, which is why I really doubt it's dead tbh. I'll definitely give it a shot with the H12 board. My chances are a lot higher with that one anyway x)

I'll keep you updated!

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Welp, tried the H12 board and the post code is still FF. I don't know what's wrong anymore.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the CPU isn't cold, it is infact getting warm. There's physically nothing wrong with the CPU either (no damaged capacitors or gold contact plates)

Last edited:

Quantum

Nov 30, 2019
I have a few of these chips and am also interested in getting them to boot. I have the
zs1406e2vjug5 and ZS1711E3VIVG5.

Does anyone have access to older, pre release bios for the H12 boards?

I will be testing them on a Dell 6515 system when it comes in.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I have a few of these chips and am also interested in getting them to boot. I have the
zs1406e2vjug5 and ZS1711E3VIVG5.

Does anyone have access to older, pre release bios for the H12 boards?

I will be testing them on a Dell 6515 system when it comes in.
Supermicro hestitates from giving anyone access to these early versions.

Could you please provide me with a bios dump from the chip of a dell server, if you get one working with the ES CPUs? I'd really like to take a look at what is making these ES CPUs work, if it's bios related.

Quantum

Nov 30, 2019

Could you please provide me with a bios dump from the chip of a dell server, if you get one working with the ES CPUs? I'd really like to take a look at what is making these ES CPUs work, if it's bios related.

Yes I’m happy to provide the dumps. Can you provide instructions to get it?

There are some images of these chips booting with the H12SSW-NT but no reference of bios version.

see:
ZS1711E3VIVG5 - Google Search

a
nd

Google Image Result for https://img.atwikiimg.com/www9.atwiki.jp/delid/attach/71/14/ZS1406E2VJUG5.png

Last edited:

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Yes I’m happy to provide the dumps. Can you provide instructions to get it?

There are some images of these chips booting with the H12SSW-NT but no reference of bios version.

see:
ZS1711E3VIVG5 - Google Search

a
nd

Google Image Result for https://img.atwikiimg.com/www9.atwiki.jp/delid/attach/71/14/ZS1406E2VJUG5.png
Interesting... The first chip, 32-core rome, seems to be using firmware version MU8F300027 which translates to microcode version 03000027. The 64-core rome part is using MU8F30000B which should be microcode version 0300000B, but that doesn't exist. This does mean the CPUID of those chips is most likely 00830F00. I think you might have more luck booting that 32-core part as it is (most likely) using a production bios.

Last edited:

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Alright, small update: seller says the chips were pulled straight from the HP ProLiant server they got sent in.

Is it possible that this chip can only run in the HP servers perhaps?

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Got my TPM debug LED card this morning in the mail. Plugged it into the supermicro board and gave the ES another go. The TPM get's stuck on 00. I'm not sure if that's because the TPM isn't loading because of the incompatible CPU or something else. It works with the Naples ES.

Anyone knows if the TPM works with an incompatible CPU?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Either CPU PEI driver not loading, so the TPM PEI can't load either or hardware incompatablility.

Got my hands on a HP bios that should be compatible and i've got to say things are not looking good to get that thing running on your mainboard.

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Either CPU PEI driver not loading, so the TPM PEI can't load either or hardware incompatablility.

Got my hands on a HP bios that should be compatible and i've got to say things are not looking good to get that thing running on your mainboard.
Oh, a lot of modding to do probably? What have you found exactly?

Quantum

Nov 30, 2019

The Dell R6515 Server has shipped and will arrive next week. I'm also going to get the H12SSW-NT, do you want this bios also?

Now let's just pray that they actually boot :cool:

What did you pay for those?
I guess you have more of the 64c as well?
I do have more 64c chips, I hope they boot also! :)

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
The Dell R6515 Server has shipped and will arrive next week. I'm also going to get the H12SSW-NT, do you want this bios also?

I do have more 64c chips, I hope they boot also! :)
If you get it to boot in the SSW-NT, then ofcourse!

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I got my hands on a supposedly compatible HP Bios, theres not a whole lot i can do. Same microcode, different PEI modules but you can't just swap them around. I guess it's going to be the same with the dell bios.

Your best chance with the supermicro board is obtaining a "beta" bios from supermicro. But i'd be happy to be proven wrong, so keep us updated on how things work out.

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
I got my hands on a supposedly compatible HP Bios, theres not a whole lot i can do. Same microcode, different PEI modules but you can't just swap them around. I guess it's going to be the same with the dell bios.

Your best chance with the supermicro board is obtaining a "beta" bios from supermicro. But i'd be happy to be proven wrong, so keep us updated on how things work out.
Going to call supermicro today (hopefully) and try to get some more info. Is it really not possible to swap some PEI modules?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Not impossible but surely not just drag'n'dropping stuff in lol. I'm very far from being a uefi dev, this was interesting to find but i got lost halfway in: Reverse Engineering UEFI Firmware – Technology & Policy – Jethro Beekman

Also the Bios versions SiSoft displays seem to be the MC version used, not sure if this is a Bug or if the OEMs labled their versions like this (usually theres 1.0c etc for the bios version).

MC 27, the one i found in every Rome Bios.

MC06, never encountered this one.

This is what it should look like with a released bios:
Details for Result ID AMD F17 (Ryzen/ThreadRipper) Host Bridge (8x NUMA); 16x 8Go SanMax M393A2G40DB0-CPB ECC Registrée DDR4 (1.25GHz 1024-bit) PC4-17100 (18-15-15-32 8-46-20-10)