AMD EPYC Rome CPU via HPE 'upgrade' very cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
I was only seeing expensive ones ($100-200+) options until @TXAG26 recommended the Wheeler FAT. Super cheap at Amazon and so far it's working great.

But the only issues I've had previously using a normal driver were from undertightening, usually causing a memory channel wouldn't be recognized. But a certain number of turns seems to get it just right anyway, but I can never remember how many. I wanna say 2 turns, maybe 2.5.

Reactions: Samir

Don.key

Apr 10, 2020
Interesting, so as far as I understand: Heatsink from this kit is compatible with other SP3 motherboards?

I am in a reverse situation: Got HP DL385 Gen10 that I want to add second CPU to and no way to get heatsink (Supply chain is all dried up due to Corona). I was wondering if I could just slap a 2U passive heatsink from Supermicro in there, direction of fins is identical so in theory it should work if holes are lining up.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Interesting, so as far as I understand: Heatsink from this kit is compatible with other SP3 motherboards?

I am in a reverse situation: Got HP DL385 Gen10 that I want to add second CPU to and no way to get heatsink (Supply chain is all dried up due to Corona). I was wondering if I could just slap a 2U passive heatsink from Supermicro in there, direction of fins is identical so in theory it should work if holes are lining up.
Which heatsink are you looking for?

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017

I sold mine on ebay. Perhaps you could find another there.
The HP heatsink is pretty low profile, I would guess 1U. If you can fit a 2U heatsink in your case, it will likely run cooler than the OEM HP heatsink. Pretty sure the HP heatsink usied standard EPYC spacing.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
The one my HPE 7302P kit came with was also a passive 1U cooler. Supermicro makes a passive 2U cooler that should work. From everything I've heard, the bolt patterns are all the same for the Epyc line.

Go Here: Heatsink Matrix | Supermicro

Select: H11 (AMD) and it will show you the 2U (active & passive) heatsink options.

Don.key

Apr 10, 2020
@TXAG26 I used a SM 2U passive cooler in our DL385.
Hi Patrick,

I did the same now in my DL385 Gen10, had to cut a part of fan shroud though because Supermicro SNK-P0063P heatsink did not fit completely under it. As visible in the attached pic.

Now I do note that CPU2 (the one with SM Heatsink) runs quite a bit hotter then CPU1. When looping through HP Memory extensive test for a few hours CPU1 has a temperature of 42c while CPU2 is ~55c.

I also noticed that fans 1 and 2 (ones close to CPU2) are rotating slower (18% vs 32% for all others).

Did you have same issue? How are your temperatures?

Thanks

Attachments

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Don.key - I do not have a photo, and that DL385 is now running in the data center but the shroud did not look like that. I wonder if I have an earlier version?

Temps on mine are within 3C

Don.key

Apr 10, 2020
Don.key - I do not have a photo, and that DL385 is now running in the data center but the shroud did not look like that. I wonder if I have an earlier version?

Temps on mine are within 3C
Probably earlier version indeed, I just received my DL385 brand new from HP.

That CPU2 heat issue is specific to HP Embedded Memory diagnostics by the way, I booted into FreeBSD and run prime torture test overnight and there temperature delta was either non existing or within 4c.

dmarshman

Nov 24, 2019
For those looking for a PCIE 4 motherboard, it looks like the ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T motherboard is now available [in stock] at Prowess Computing for $675.. I haven't seen it available anywhere else yet.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
For those looking for a PCIE 4 motherboard, it looks like the ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T motherboard is now available [in stock] at Prowess Computing for $675.. I haven't seen it available anywhere else yet.
It’s listed as “special order” rather than “in stock” or “available“. Usually that’s a sign that they don’t have pre-allocated stock from the (tier 1) distributors/manufacturer.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Ordered mine on 04/21 from Provantage, along with the Tyan S8030. Waiting patiently now :)
I have the same coming but I don’t have a date for either the S8030 from avadirect nor 7302p from provantage. Did you get any shipping estimate?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
My 7302p took about 12 weeks to arrive, but it was ordered before this HPE part number was released to the channel. I would expect 2-4 weeks if HPE actually has the CPU's to fulfill the orders with.