AMD EPYC Rome CPU via HPE 'upgrade' very cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I use an analog/manual Wheeler Engineering FAT Wrench. It’s an adjustable inch-pound torque wrench in screw driver form that takes any type of standard 1/4 bit. I use this for all sorts of things around the shop and home.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
Excellent, just ordered one. It'll be handy to have a tiny torque wrench around for other stuff too.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I got my supermicro H11SSL motherboard booting.
I used the threadripper torque wrench to tighten down the CPU. It took more torque that I would have used without the torque wrench.

The good news is my noctua 14cm cooler is very quiet.
The bad news is the supermicro motherboard BIOS takes quite a long time to boot.
I was hoping that with an EFI BiOS it would be quick, but it is really slow.
All of my memory and the cpu were properly detected.
I guess it isn't a big deal if you reboot rarely...

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I got my supermicro H11SSL motherboard booting.
I used the threadripper torque wrench to tighten down the CPU. It took more torque that I would have used without the torque wrench.

The good news is my noctua 14cm cooler is very quiet.
The bad news is the supermicro motherboard BIOS takes quite a long time to boot.
I was hoping that with an EFI BiOS it would be quick, but it is really slow.
All of my memory and the cpu were properly detected.
I guess it isn't a big deal if you reboot rarely...
I’m seeing boot time right at 1:50 from power-on to Windows 10 login screen on my H11SSL-NC. I’m sure I could trim that a bit by disabling some of the onboard option ROMs, but I haven’t gotten there yet and am not too worried about boot time as I do not restart that often.

cdoublejj

Jan 5, 2018
didn't Lisa Sue hint that were struggling a little bit to meet demand as well. idk if it was coreteks on youtube or gamersnexus but, while not as bad as intel they were trying to scale out chip fab. the Epyc market show has been growing rapidly too.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Order accepted by the warehouse today but I haven't received a shipment tracking number yet.
It should show up by this evening if you have signed up for the FedEx shipment notification or UPS's similar service. Most of my orders from Provantage ship via FedEx. I think Provantage will usually have the tracking number posted 24-48 hours after shipment on their website.

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
Looking at the top retailers, there are certain high demand/value chips that are driving up prices while stock of over chips seems readily available. The single socket only variety in particular are very popular.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@cdoublejj as you indicated I also remember AMD struggling with demand but not as bad as intel. More cores than ever are being delivered into the market a big jump in demand. Let’s see if it holds, probably not I would guess as enough chips meet the existing requirements and growth all at once.

@Beer_Engineer i can see why single socket is getting a look in, a lot of people don’t need 16 cores let alone 64 and when you can get 64 in one socket and plenty of ram you end up need physical boxes for redundancy in clusters so even the smallest systems are now huge for a lot of uses. (Enterprise not cloud or HPC)

Reactions: TXAG26

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
To be clear, AMD Epyc latch screws require no greater than 14 INCH-POUNDS of torque. The above linked torque wrench is not appropriate for work with computers, it does not read low enough. 29.5 ft. pounds = 354 in. pounds, which would destroy a motherboard.

Reactions: e97 and sno.cn

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If your doing this more than a few times I would go for a fixed torque option, I use Wiha but other quality brands are available for sure. They don’t come cheap a quality wrench and bit etc will be likely $80-100

I guess if you have one for intel scalable around 12-12.5 in/lb with the bit for AMD would probably be close enough to doing the job.