AMD EPYC Rome CPU via HPE 'upgrade' very cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ran the numbers - they are 1828/each delivered to me. I'd almost need 1150(ish) to make it work. So may not be worth it.
Yea that's about what it costs me but I'd be getting no warranty/return support so yea, not worth it. Thanks for the offer though.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I received shipment confirmation for my HPE 7302P Upgkit from Provantage today also.

I just got the package, and have good news and bad news.
Good news: there is the epyc processor. It has a carrier frame, which I didn't notice initially.
More good news: there is a 1U heatsink for the processor.
There is a paper saying that HPE support will come over to install the upgrade processor in my HPE computer.
Bad news: there is no torque wrench for the t20 screws.

So I am now in the market for a t20 torque wrench.
If anyone wants to buy a 1U EPYC heatsink for cheap, I have one that I don't need, as I bought the monster 140mm fan HSF from Nocturna.

Last edited:
Reactions: ubarey and TXAG26

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
I’m a previous post on this thread, it was noted that HPE said the torque wrench was a part they shipped in the kit. Have we confirmed they arent sending them, or was this just a QA mistake?

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I’m a previous post on this thread, it was noted that HPE said the torque wrench was a part they shipped in the kit. Have we confirmed they arent sending them, or was this just a QA mistake?
They told me that it was included. However, they were quite clueless and it took several minutes to get that out of them.

In the above post, I list what came in my box. No torque wrench.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Just to confirm, Does EPYC comes with a carrier frame?
Yes. it is inside the static bag which I didn't open. I had to hold it up to the light to notice it.
I ordered a threadripper torque wrench on ebay for $10

ubarey

Jan 4, 2020
My 7302P order (at 2020/1/14) has shipped!
So I should consider whether to buy EPYCD8-2T or wait for ROMED8-2T.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I just finished my 7302P build yesterday with a Supermicro H11SSL-NC. I was really wanting a board with PCIE 4.0, but after learning that they require a more expensive manufacturing process and use more power consumption, and the fact that I don't plan on "really" needing PCIE 4.0 for a long time, I decided to stay with the H11 series that has PCIE 3.0. This build feels very solid and responsive, typical Supermicro quality. I can't speak to those other boards, but Supermicro has always been true & steady in my experience.

Reactions: ubarey

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I also bought the supermicro H11SSL. I will be getting my torque wrench on friday, so I should have it build this weekend. Seems like an awesome motherboard overall.

The front panel connector will require some work in order to get the power and hdd leds to work. I bought male and female headers to construct a adapter header to work.

Also it would be really nice if it had 10g ethernet rather than 1g ethernet. 1g ethernet was really cool 15 or 20 years ago. In my experience, supermicro makes the most reliable motherboards, which is why I didn't buy some other brand.

Reactions: TXAG26

ubarey

Jan 4, 2020
The reputation of Supermicro brand fascinates me. but I'd like to have more PCIe slots for expandability.
ASRock Rack EPYCD8-2T has +1 PCIe slot, onboard 10G, and OCULink. So I chose it.
I hope Supermicro has released equivalent mobo.

I maybe don't need PCIe 4.0 so EPYCD8-2T should be enough.
but... I want to get ROMED8-2T if it released soon and the price is not much higher.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
I guess I should get a torque wrench one of these days. I'm getting better at it, but the other day in SM H11DSi socket 1 was perfect the first time, and it took me three tries to get socket 2 torqued just right.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I guess I should get a torque wrench one of these days. I'm getting better at it, but the other day in SM H11DSi socket 1 was perfect the first time, and it took me three tries to get socket 2 torqued just right.
All you actually need is a torx screwdriver set. I've used one on my last two EPYC installs.