AMD EPYC Embedded 3000 series motherboards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Well I think we're entirely dependent on the next StH article about those forthcoming Supermicro motherboards along with pricing, availability and inevitable teething problems; but if AMD are expecting to gain traction then I'd expect price per core to be considerably less than that of the Xeon D/D2100 series, and hopefully coming in at a lower power budget.

Chuffed to see them perform as well as they do given the relatively low base and boost clock speeds, and the current line up would be ideal for pfsense/networking kit but the lack of extra SATA and/or 10GbE limits the utility for the time being. The Epyc 3000 SoC is meant to have "up to" 16x SATA and 8x10GbE (albeit likely the lacklustre amd-xgbe) available so hopefully SKUs exercising those options - or even just some extra PCIe slots - will emerge at some point.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I don't think this qualifies as actual pricing for those in the US since it is in Euro and it's inclusive of 19% VAT. EU prices are higher on most SM parts.

Still, check this https://www.sona.de/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=m11sdv&product_list_limit=48

Xeon D-2141 X11SDV-8C-TLN2F with 2x10G 985,06 Euro and it's $1070 in the US
Xeon D-1537 X10SDV-8C-TLN4F with 4x10G 829,08 Euro and it's $910 in the US
EPYC 3251 M11SDV-8C-LN4F with 4x1G 700,10 Euro

Maybe 900 Euro of performance for 700 if the ratios hold? They're probably just marking up off of list price. The X10SDV-F is still a $950 board.

The cheapest is a 441.97 M11SDV-4CT-LN4F

Anathematician

Jan 19, 2017
It’s a shame to see all those pcie lanes go to waste in a mitx format. Just adding 10gbe networking takes up the only slot without a riser and unique case design. No oculink for nvme drives, so use cases have been trimmed down a bit.

Now how about mAtx? :)

Of course I’m also complaining about an unreleased product I don’t own which doesn’t fit my use case, so meh...

Last edited:

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
So I found the manual for these boards. like some other supermicro boards, they group multiple similar boards into 1 manual.

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/EPYC3000/MNL-2172.pdf

of note. On page 29 it says the following

"Local Area Network (LAN) PortsThere are two LAN ports located on the I/O back panel of the motherboard. LAN1 - LAN2 are 10GbE RJ45 Ethernet ports. The motherboard also offers one IPMI LAN port."

So maybe some of these Supermicro M11SDV do have onboard 10GBE. I just would just always prefer 10GB sfp+ cages though but I'd take 10GB rj45 I guess.

I also wonder if its possible this note is a typo or just incorrect. I've noticed a number of mistakes in this manual. page 16 they call it edd/non-ecc ram. also call it AMD EPY 3000 soc. The manual is also pretty clear that this has an intel i350 on it, which is of course not 10GB.

product page

M11SDV-8C+-LN4F | Motherboards | A+ Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I missed that paragraph when I read the manual (I posted all the product pages I could find further up in the thread), but all the rest of the literature only mentions the 4x1Gb ports, including the block diagram which shows the four ports hanging off the i350 chip. Likewise, if ports 1 and 2 were to be 10GbE then the placement of the i350 next to those ports instead of next to 3 and 4 makes little sense.

Possibly using the onboard 10GbE is planned for other SKUs, or it has problems and they decided to run everything via the i350 instead?

One interesting thing to note is support for pretty much every type of memory - ECC and non-ECC, plus UDIMM, RDIMM and LRDIMM.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a heads-up, we confirmed non-ECC UDIMMs are working. Also, the EPYC 3251 testing is in progress.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Damn, I hate that I just had to replace a failing box and bought a C3558 and the M11SDV-4CT-LN4F is almost out and will probably kick its ass at similar price. Or maybe I can take solace in it being priced more Xeon-D level?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Damn, I hate that I just had to replace a failing box and bought a C3558 and the M11SDV-4CT-LN4F is almost out and will probably kick its ass at similar price. Or maybe I can take solace in it being priced more Xeon-D level?
I've just had to do the same with an X10SDV. Preliminary guesstimate pricing from the page MiniKnight dug out suggests more than C3000 but less than Xeon D but I suspect we're a fair way from seeing them in the retail channel.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I also earlier saw reference to the case
  • CSE-E301
But now I see an image, looks like it’s a CSE-300 with and extra half U height for bigger coolers and more disks, one could only hope right, stil 40mm fan inlet size so assume only 40mm fans :-/

Edit: spec sheet says 40mm fans, also says 2 x 2.5” bracket for 15mm drives. So being creation could fit 4 x 7mm I guess.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Evan the CSE-301 is a CSE-300 with a different top. One can add multiple drives in the upper section. I think it is for those who like that embedded form factor but want more storage.

We have a CSE-300 atop a CSE-301 and they match footprint wise making them very stackable.

The 2x 2.5" bracket is really cool! you can stack 2.5" drives two high in the add-on top section and they snap in via a tool-less clip.

You do not really get much if any more room for coolers.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Evan the CSE-301 is a CSE-300 with a different top. One can add multiple drives in the upper section. I think it is for those who like that embedded form factor but want more storage.

We have a CSE-300 atop a CSE-301 and they match footprint wise making them very stackable.

The 2x 2.5" bracket is really cool! you can stack 2.5" drives two high in the add-on top section and they snap in via a tool-less clip.

You do not really get much if any more room for coolers.
You can even stack the cases as well ?
I like the case even if a bit loud they are nice and small and good value they really just missed a little storage space so this should be a nice addition even though no longer 1U

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Call it a loose stack. They are one atop of another but not secured together.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I didn't see it mentioned in any other threads yet but ASRockrack have published their 2019 catalogue (PDF, page 44) containing a mITX EPYC 3000 motherboard, the EPYC3000D4I-2T.

As much as I'd love to see a mATX variant with some fatter IO, this hits a lot of plus points - IPMI, inbuilt 10GbE via an Intel X550, oculink.

(Interestingly, for the thread regarding the X470D4U, they've also listed the rumoured 10GbE model, the X470D4U2-2T)

fozters

May 15, 2019
Just started to look for new board. Epyc 3000 would seem like very interesting as like just released information regarding another intel cve regarding hyper threading omg for them.

I'm creating a new diy mini case with either itx board or flex atx board, still unsure if 18.5cm depth for board is okay. Pretty sure will run freenas mostly as zfs storage small server in micro home lab. Small smb, iscsi etc.
I'll maybe run vm or two and or jails, dunno..

What I'd be interested is maybe later on 10gb, sfp+ or base-t, sfp+ would be more energy effiecient for two esxi hosts via direct connect, as low power consumption is one of the keys here too.. Also atleast one adapter for sas hba, either integrated or not, does not matter but ofc integrated won't take slots. Mini itx could work with bifurcation. I'm creating my own back plate to the case so I'm looking for all options..

It would be probably easier/more future proof for me to get flex board work for my needs. As they'll leave more expansion available etc..

Anyhow, it seems that these epyc3000 boards are new, even though announced already a while ago.
Are they so new that supermicro epyc3000 boards are still on the way to the shelfs (Europe)?

Why are we not seeing epyc flex boards from supermicro, do you think they'll follow? How has it been with earlier boards, anyone followed or remember?

Why do you think so few options we are having? Asrock has 1 itx board coming in 2019..lmao?
ITX in general is surging market as so is home lab so you'd think there would be surging market for embedded too?

Currently something like d-1500 supermicro flex or supermicro epyc3000 itx boards with bifurcation (all slots would be taken etc) are the options I'm lurking now.
Currently I have asrock e3c226d2i 1220v3 board so I'm not in a hurry.

What do you think the offerings will be in like 1 year? Seems like epyc3000 is a lot more interesting option for prosumer/home labber than d-1600, isn't it so for the board manufacturers and why?