AMD EPYC Embedded 3000 series motherboards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jasaero

Jan 23, 2019
I saw one in Taiwan at the end of October. IPMI + EPYC 3000. Expected to land Q1 2019.
Where to watch for this by the way? You going to be covering it? Still a go before I guess the end of next month which would technically end the quarter?

If it's launching then would think they could get you a sample a bit earlier!

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If it's launching then would think they could get you a sample a bit earlier!
I have learned:
  • Things happen when they happen.
  • Have a big pipeline so when you wait, you do not get stuck scrambling for content.
  • Pre-release samples are always delivered later than you want, or they are so buggy you waste a ton of time on them

jasaero

Jan 23, 2019
I have learned:
  • Things happen when they happen.
  • Have a big pipeline so when you wait, you do not get stuck scrambling for content.
  • Pre-release samples are always delivered later than you want, or they are so buggy you waste a ton of time on them
All great points.

I'm just a normal consumer that wants to build a home server with more enterprise sorta kit and am learning announcements and releases are way slower and with less pomp to drive interest!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Embedded is extra slow, especially on new platforms. Chips get "launched" which is either a paper launch or when the factory releases them. They then travel to the OEM. The OEM needs to then make the motherboards and place the chips. Then after batches are done they need to make it to the wild.

For existing platforms, there is often a several week delay. For a new one like AMD EPYC 3000 it can be (much) longer.

Reactions: jasaero

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Stop being a tease, damnit...! :p

Given that SM still aren't on board with Epyc 3000, can we surmise that you're talking about an industrial mITX platform from someone like iBase?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hopefully someone that sells into consumer channels a bit normally!
Yes. Pricing looks to be well below Xeon D-2100/ 1500.

At the stage where we have a few CPU options, but I have been told that I will be getting the release date soon.

I am going to give some strong feedback, however, I think it is going to be a really interesting option. Kubernetes on EPYC 3000?

In terms of software installation, Ubuntu 18.04.2 works out of the box without any strange issues. Perhaps that is the most important feature for companies making products on an entirely new platform.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: jasaero

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
They all look to be mITX and without 24pin power plugs, 4xSATA, no embedded 10GbE but with four LAN ports from an i350, graphics/IPMI via the ubiquitous AST2500.
This is a wise observation. Perhaps Tuesday at 6:01AM a new series may start on STH.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Well it's simultaneously both more and less than I'd hoped - less in the sense that I'd like to see some mATX and some 10GbE action, infinitely more in that Supermicro are doing an Epyc 3000 board!!!! which is what I've been wishing for this whole time. Although I'm in the market for a mATX to replace my not-at-all-past-it haswell, I'm almost certainly going to get one of these merely as a test node as long as the price isn't stupid (and as long as it's cheaper than the Xeon D's I can't imagine it will be). The fact that Patrick's already let slip it works OotB with linux is a nice big thumbs up for me.

As an aside, thanks SM for (eventually!) going down this road - I was worried you were going to miss this entirely. I do wonder if the Intel chip shortage had anything to do with it as SM weren't on the "we're looking into doing Epyc 3000 stuff!" bandwagon when it was launched way back when.

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
:O

It certainly looks that way - seems they have a product list of sorts here: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support Home

Model numbers currently listed:
M11SDV-4C-LN4F
M11SDV-4CT-LN4F
M11SDV-8C-LN4F
M11SDV-8C+-LN4F
M11SDV-8CT-LN4F

They all look to be mITX and without 24pin power plugs, 4xSATA, no embedded 10GbE but with four LAN ports from an i350, graphics/IPMI via the ubiquitous AST2500.
10Gbase-T is a sad miss on these, since everything else looks so great. I really hope SuperMicro have more models to bring out, that will include it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
On one hand, I agree on the 10GbE sentiment. I appreciate what they did and understand why. You will see my thoughts early this week.

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
Yes, it's always a balance of price and features.

Just for my own personal use, I would have loved one of these with 10GbE, for a low wattage home proxmox box, without losing the PCIE slot for the faster Ethernet.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
If there are several slots so it's NBD to add 10gbe, then ok I guess. But on a system with limited expansion that should last at least 5 years, it's hard to see 1gbe being sufficient for the long haul.

jasaero

Jan 23, 2019
Great article! Still a bit of a tease though without any of the actual final product info allowed in so we can get a more apple/apple and $/$ sorta rundown for similar boards Intel/AMD. Very good to know where these SKUs will fall though.

My biggest question as the actual channel products come has been whether AMD will do like they have done with other Zen based products and essential try to really run rough shod on Intel from a $/core and/or $/thread perspective. Suspect they will...but still a bit confused in this space how that works out. Would be pretty big deal though if 31XX/32XX products are effectively priced below D products...sorta competing more with ATOM as far as $'s and the 33/34 take on the D's. Not sure if that ends up making sense as far as TDP and other factors, but would seem to be in the realm of the Zen strategy to sorta disrupt and take market share as fast as possible so far. And I guess some of it isn't just AMD, but how the board vendors decide to market these competing products so as not to send too many one direction or another since they are embedded.

Last edited: