AMD Epyc 7763 - question regarding use in an office workstation and the effect on the heating of the air in the room

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
Hi all! I am asking for help with my questions as I am going to use the Epyc 7763 in my workstation in the office. I will use it to rebuild rather heavy C++ libraries, rebuild system packages, run virtual machines and jails. I won't do it all day long, but periodically. Most of the working day I will be doing something that is not very resource intensive.

I'm worried that this system, even at idle, will heat up the air and make the work of people around me uncomfortable. The room is about 30 square meters, and besides me, there are 3 more people there full day. Moreover, ideally, I would not want to turn off this machine even at night. I'm afraid that when we come to the office in the morning, the temperature there will be like in the desert.

So, I plan to build a machine with the following configuration and use it in my office:

CPU: Epyc 7763
MB: H12SSL-I
RAM: some kind of compatible 16gb*8
Chassis: Chenbro SR10769 with Noctua coolers (120mm).
CPU cooler: SNK-P0064AP4

Then I just plug in my monitor and go to work.

Please critique this idea of using such a system as a software developer's workstation.

The problem is that when I build this configuration, it will be problematic for me to return the components back to the seller. Thus, I run the risk of facing the hatred of colleagues, and I will have to abandon 7763.

P.S.: I'm worried that the air will get too hot because I had IBM x3650 m4 server with two Xeon e5-2650 (8c/16t) CPUs. And after compiling something during the evening, in that room (13-15 square meters) the air became quite warm.

Please, those who have 7763 (or something close) tell me how much it warms the air.

So far I only have an example build for GKH and with two Epyc 7763. It is quiet, yes, but I don’t even know how it affects the temperature in the room.

Last edited:

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Do you work in an IT sweatshop?

if i were desperate with no other options I'd pipe the back fan port(s) of the case to the closest HVAC air intake on the wall, seal it up and have the HVAC suck air thru the case.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
At full cpu load the air will become around 300W warmer. You friends will first become annoyed with fan noise before the heat kills them.
Let them hate you, it will be hate of envy; and short lived one too as they turn into kebabs.

If you care so much about them (your friends), you can keep that system at home - and just remote in from work from laptop.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018