AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Bought a set of MB + CPU from tugm4470 and everything worked fine. Shipping to Finland was about a week.

I spent half day struggling with my LRDIMMs (32 GB 2400 Samsung) but after switching to regular RDIMMs (16 GB 2133 Hynix/Micron mix) everything clicked and started to work.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
The set mentioned right on the thread title, 7302p with H12SSL-i.

I got it to POST once with single stick of LRDIMM but couldn't repeat it. The IPMI listed the correct RAM specs for the LRs after that.

Loaned the RDIMMs from my wife's ITX box and it fired right up. Now I'm figuring out why the hell I did this upgrade as my previous box (twin 2696v4s) was as fast as this in my work loads :D

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Yeah, but shouldn't that happen only after successful POST anyhow?
the BMC is the temp supervisor and keeps the connection any time. the cpu with OS may not respond at overheating.
the temp sensor is IN THE SPD

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Got my Combo - H12SSL-I with 7302, stabbed my memory in it and works great... so all around good deal for what i got it for....

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
Revised feedback. They did ship it though it was kinda of a PITA. I’ve been on eBay for almost 25 years and this is probably the second time I’ve left negative feedback (though in this case I did revise it because I felt they did honor their deal with some aggravation). Idk I guess it was a wash, I got the item for a decent price but it was a little aggravating. Someone else left negative feedback that they gave him a bogus tracking number to appease eBay… not sure how I feel about that.

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
Revised feedback. They did ship it though it was kinda of a PITA. I’ve been on eBay for almost 25 years and this is probably the second time I’ve left negative feedback (though in this case I did revise it because I felt they did honor their deal with some aggravation). Idk I guess it was a wash, I got the item for a decent price but it was a little aggravating. Someone else left negative feedback that they gave him a bogus tracking number to appease eBay… not sure how I feel about that.
To be clear this refers to memorypartner_ltd and not tugm4470.

PlasticZeus

Mar 25, 2019
Wondering if it's even worth replacing my dual socket E5-2643 v4 with a single socket 7402. Only benefit would be getting the option of DDR4 3200, and the hope of lower power usage. but is it worth it to drop 2 grand on?

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
To be clear this refers to memorypartner_ltd and not tugm4470.
Correct. I talked with him when it I was doubtful if they would ship it. I plan on buying a cpu or memory from him in the coming months.

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
Wondering if it's even worth replacing my dual socket E5-2643 v4 with a single socket 7402. Only benefit would be getting the option of DDR4 3200, and the hope of lower power usage. but is it worth it to drop 2 grand on?
This isn’t the right forum to be dissuaded from spending thousands for some gains…. Obviously you should get the dual socket board… you know for the future…

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
I mean, it depends on your workload but you will end up with 2x the number of cores, increased memory bandwidth, improvements in IPC, tons of PCIe lanes. All-core turbo behavior is way improved on second gen Epyc relative to Broadwell. Maybe a wash in terms of single core performance, but everything else should be significantly faster. Whether you *need* any of that... probably not ;-)

FWIW, DDR4 3200 is still kind of pricey, but you can save a buck by going with 2933, 2666 or even re-using your 2400 for now and then upgrade later.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
I bought mine so I can upgrade to Milan, re-use my current RAM and in the future when vendors start to get rid of fast DDR4 en masse I'll upgrade that too. With v4 Xeons you pretty much are done with 2400M/T and 44 cores.

The buy-in cost for the MB is reasonable right now, and you do get slight IPC upgrade and much better idle (I'm seeing 40 or so watts less than dual E5s) Who knows when the supply for these cheap boards dries up?

Not to mention tons of faster PCIe for NVMe and other fun stuff!

PlasticZeus

Mar 25, 2019
I bought mine so I can upgrade to Milan, re-use my current RAM and in the future when vendors start to get rid of fast DDR4 en masse I'll upgrade that too. With v4 Xeons you pretty much are done with 2400M/T and 44 cores.

The buy-in cost for the MB is reasonable right now, and you do get slight IPC upgrade and much better idle (I'm seeing 40 or so watts less than dual E5s) Who knows when the supply for these cheap boards dries up?

Not to mention tons of faster PCIe for NVMe and other fun stuff!
Did you buy the single socket or dual?

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
I'm facing a similar decision and I'd say no way this is worth it. Idle power on v4 is not that bad, and memory frequency only has a minor impact on most applications.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
I'm facing a similar decision and I'd say no way this is worth it. Idle power on v4 is not that bad, and memory frequency only has a minor impact on most applications.
IMO the use-case for Epyc vs v4 xeon would be to bypass the pci-e 3.0 boards entirely and go with a PCI-e 4.0 board (h12 or tyan s8030 etc). I went this route with a 7532 and its great.

Reactions: SDKita