AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
When you buy stuff its always risky since you never know if you get what you ordered.

When ordering from China the risk can be higher depending on the seller - but what is worse is the time to deliver/time to return that is increased by a lot - so if something goes wrong it will take you a lot longer to get resolved.

I have bought stuff from chine and been happy, but also gotten some bad stuff.

And if something seems to good to be true, it probably is :-D

Reactions: DaveInTexas

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The price seems pretty standard for being a ebay bundle.
24core gen2 cost about same and with gen1 32core they can be as low as 500$.

Its just too expensive to ship the full servers out of china so they strip it down to mobo+cpu bundles.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
In my experience the H11SSL is very fussy about graphics cards. The only card I have gotten working is an nvidia quadro k420. I have heard that only workstation class cards work. Of course it has onboard vga if you don't care about such things... It is a great price.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
I've found that AMD and Nvidia both work, but AMD cards have trouble showing the POST screen. Do note the H11SSL is PCI-e 3.0 only which is kind of a bummer if you plan on using a bunch of PCIe drives.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
In my experience, using older AMD cards, they do show the POST screen, but POST freezes. I contacted supermicro, and they said they don't have any graphics cards on their recommended list.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
When ordering from China the risk can be higher depending on the seller - but what is worse is the time to deliver/time to return that is increased by a lot - so if something goes wrong it will take you a lot longer to get resolved.
Totally NOT true with this seller. I have a lot of personal experience with him. He always delivers what is offered and within 7days via FedEx. Never waited more than 1 week including customs processes. Not to Malta, Germany, Poland and/or Sweden.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Further to the above, I'm not connected with the seller, nor do I have any other relationship with him. I do not receive any commission, rebates or anything else. I just have very good experience which mirrors his 100% selling experience on eBay.

He just assured me in writing, if anyone is buying his product here through STH and provide the code 'gb09s', he will ship FedEx for free within 12 hours of receiving the payment. Of course, I don't take any responsibility for any mishandling and/or miscommunication or translation and any damages (mentally, financially, and/or physically).

Last edited:

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
Well... Could not resist. In for one.
How does one provide the code though? Tried through coupon but no luck. Just paid for the fedex shipping.

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
I've also bought a bunch from tugm and parts.cafe and had great experiences with both. tugm refunded me basically immediately when I had an issue with a motherboard (turned out to be my fault). Sometimes you can get slightly cheaper prices on alibaba, but it seems like it's the same sellers on both. Just a little harder to navigate who is trustworthy or not on alibaba/aliexpress. I ran some GPUs in my h11 builds without problems but I believe it was all AMD cards (used risers & linux as well, so that may have made a difference, not sure).

bambinone

Dec 26, 2020
Chicago, Illinois
Is the 7302P four CCDs with two cores per CCX? That would give you eight "nodes" with 2c4t and 16MiB L3$ each. Very nice.

It probably makes more sense to do something like this vs upgrading my X570 server to a 3950X, even though the core clocks are much lower and I'll need a new cooler, new RAM, etc. However, if I'm going to spend this much I should probably hold out for a 24c or 32c combo. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
I bought one of the EPYC 7282 + H12SSL-i combos off a friend who over-bought, and can confirm it's the real deal. I wanted the board, and for the price, the CPU is basically free.

The only very minor, notable thing about it was a small red stamp with some hanzi characters on the CPU heatspreader. I didn't bother translating them before putting the cooler on.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The only very minor, notable thing about it was a small red stamp with some hanzi characters on the CPU heatspreader. I didn't bother translating them before putting the cooler on.
I would assume something about supermicro or a vendor code.

Epycs are often locked to brands and info about it is usualy on the spreader or socket depending on how its sold.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
What's the possibility that this combo (7302p + H11SSL-i) could be used in a SM 2U chassis (825/826) with a passive heatsink on the CPU? SM offers this one: Supermicro 2U Passive CPU Heat Sink Socket OLGA4094 (SNK-P0063P). They claim it is usable up to 180W TDP and the 7302p is only 120W TDP, but of course 'usable' may mean "the stock fans are running at full speed all the time".

In my application the CPU would be fairly lightly loaded most of the time, the reason for the upgrade would be higher burst performance than my current Xeon (more cores, more cache, higher core clock) and more PCIe lanes. Right now I've got an 80W TDP Xeon with a Noctua cooler which only makes noise when the CPU is really busy, but I haven't found any similar coolers which would fit in a 2U chassis.