AMD EPYC 7002 Rome v Threadripper for Workstations

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
P

Patrick Kennedy

This is a question we have received a lot of inquiries about ever since our AMD EPYC 7002 Series Rome Delivers a Knockout article at launch. Many of our readers have single or dual Intel Xeon workstations and want to know if the new EPYC 7002 series, codenamed “Rome” is a direct replacement. Ever since our AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X Review that discussion has shifted. It instead focuses on whether EPYC or Threadripper is better for workstations. Since we are likely to learn more about the already announced 64 core Threadripper parts, we wanted to get a quick perspective out on which is better for the workstation market.

AMD EPYC 7002 Rome v Threadripper for Workstations

STH hit another milestone this week. We surpassed 10,000 YouTube subscribers on the ServeTheHomeVideo channel. In honor of that, we actually decided to change the format of this article that up until 48 hours ago was going to be a 2000 word written article. Instead, today we have a video.

In the video I discuss some of our experiments with using AMD EPYC CPUs in workstations including the Ultra EPYC AMD Powered Sun Ultra 24 Workstation. I also discuss why ultimately, even with access to plenty of EPYC platforms, my December 2019 workstation build was using the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X instead of EPYC 7002 series parts.

As a quick bonus here, you will notice that in the video I talk about the AMD EPYC 7282 and EPYC 7272 processors as sub $650 options. We have reviews of both of those chips in the publishing queue coming in the next few weeks.

Final Words

This is one of, if not our first mainly video piece. A big part of that is due to me wanting to try the new Panasonic DC-S1 camera once it arrived. This video was also a test of a new audio recording setup which still needs work as well. In 2020 we are going to have more video on STH but we still plan to be a web-first site for the foreseeable future. With the new studio, the goal this year is to augment more of what we already do with video rather than replace, given this is an exception to that rule.

The post AMD EPYC 7002 Rome v Threadripper for Workstations appeared first on ServeTheHome.

Continue reading...

oojingoo

Jun 17, 2015
One thing you didn't mention is that the extra memory channels on Epyc Rome also give those processors more memory bandwidth than Ryzen Threadripper (2x), even in the apples-to-apples 8 DIMM configuration. Also, there aren't (yet?) TRX40 motherboards that support IPMI or anything similar.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I mentioned the remote management bit. You are right I probably should have more fully explained the impact of 4 v. 8 memory channels.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
A comment on video content -
I understand the need/drive to it as it will reach new viewers/allows new (possibly improved) ways off presenting content, but me personally am not a fan of it.
I read most of the articles (if I am interested in the slightest) but I most likely will skip most of the video content unless strongly interested, its just not my media for informational content:)

Maybe it would be possible to provide a transcript of the videos if that is media that the content covered within could be presented most beneficial with? Then I can skim that and still watch relevant parts if I decide its interesting enough :)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Same here. For me personally, a regular old article just makes it easier to search for specific bits of information I am interested in.
Scrubbing through a talking head video is just not the same as scrolling through an article. Especially for highly technical content like this.
Please note that this is not a comment on the video quality itself, which is pretty good as far as I am concerned.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I tend to just like reading while on transport where say loud trains don’t really want to listen (4G/LTE access is also a consideration as well)
Having said that the video itself is good.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Guys I totally get the concerns on this format and tried addressing them in this article. The goal this year is really more of augment articles versus replace them like this one was.

I often use weekends to experiment.

Reactions: Dark

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I'm good with experimenting - just wanted to provide feedback :)

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Nice work Patrick. Video is king, especially for bringing in new users/readers/viewers to the site. So it’s the logical next step in site evolution. No 1,000-2,000 word article is going to go as viral as a video has the potential to, and hopefully it can become another income source/stream.

Obviously you’re retaining the current content for those like myself and the other commenters who were first attracted to site for it.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Guys I totally get the concerns on this format and tried addressing them in this article. The goal this year is really more of augment articles versus replace them like this one was.
I HATE videos. I don't mind if there is a video for as long that it isn't the main source of content, and there is an article that covers exactly the same. But that means more work for you :D

I simply don't understand that in the TL;DR Internet where people complains when they have to read a long text, there are guys that actually bothers with 10-15 minutes videos that the Hardware Youtubers usually post, as those have become popular in recent years. As a non native english speaker, I have to focus a lot to understand speech in audio/video. If I lose focus for a split second or don't get a word, I have to rewind, so I can't even hear the audio part of a video and do something else simultaneously (If I'm going to hear, I'm also forced to watch, can't keep it running in the background). Text is just much more versately. It is easy to machine translate, you can search specific words, you can have a glimpse of what it is talking about just by flying your eyes over it (Whereas in videos you will always miss some topic that received just a few seconds worth of words), and if I see a paragraph that talks about something I don't care, I can skip it without wondering if I missed what I consider the important parts. You simply can't skip in videos because you will always miss something. If I recall correctly, only Wendell from Level1Tech bothered to add an index so at least you have an idea of what part you want to hear.