AMD EPYC 3000 Line Gets Updated Adding and Dropping Models

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
No word on SM boards yet for anyone watching, but we will have 12 and 16 core part reviews soon.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
We are still likely a few months away from seeing boards with standard form factors such as ATX and these parts, but there are embedded systems vendors who are starting to offer them.
You mean it is happening? IT IS HAPPENING??!?1?!?!?1?!111

But do it with a Zen 2, please.

First, one can see the addition of the AMD EPYC Embedded 3255 part. This AMD EPYC 3255 part is an 8 core 16 thread single die model that started shipping in mid-2019. The TDP is configurable from 25-55W on this part but many of the compute and I/O specs are similar to the EPYC 3251. Perhaps the biggest change is a TDP that spans from -40-105C to cover industrial embedded use cases.
How much of a difference there is between a normal part, and an industrial temperature range part, from a technical standpoint? I would assume that they are better binned, tested to be able to do a cold boot at subzero temps, and not much else. What about price? I think AMD never mentioned it, just to compare the premium between the 3251 and the 3255.

Back when I readed often XtremeSystems there were extreme overclockers that used subzero cooling like LN2, and one of the most common discussions topics was about the "cold bug", since there were certain Processors that refused to do a cold boot below a certain point, which was like -10 or -20°C. It didn't affected all the Processors equally, so, for example, for 45nm K10s (Athlon II/Phenom II) those overclockers had a list of Steppings (The 5-letter code printed on the Processor heatspreader and only available via visual inspection, not the two-letter Revision) that seemed to work the most. Obviously no one tested with industrial grade parts, heh.

I wonder how such binned parts would overclock, or behaves overall...

Fourth, the “socket” column lets us know that the dual die parts use a SP4 socket while the single die parts are SP4r2. With that “r2” we know it handles half of the I/O due to being single die parts. The SP4 commonality shows they are socket compatible. Technically these are BGA parts that are soldered to motherboards so we wanted to be clear that what AMD is calling socket is not actually a field-replaceable socketed part as we see in the EPYC 7000 series.
I always though that something like Pinout would make more sense than Socket for obvious reasons. And given the fact that SP4 and SP4r2 are both pin compatible, and even the same base Motherboard can be potentially geared up for either Single Die or Dual Die parts (Like the AMD reference platform Wallaby you reviewed), is more like the Single Die pinout is a dedicated subset of the full Dual Die setup.

Many of our readers have been eagerly awaiting the release of the AMD EPYC 3451 16-core and EPYC 3351 parts so we wanted to provide some update on their status. From what we understand, these parts started shipping in late November 2019.
congatec has announced it several months ago with the conga-B7E7. I'm surprised you can fit the 100W Dual Die part in such small Form Factor, yet still I don't know how the cooling system would look.
For that COM Express card, you need a COM Express Type 7 Carrier Board like this full ATX sized AdLink Express-BASE7. Actually, it should be compatible with both AMD and Intel COM Express Type 7 cards, and there are a few Atom and Xeon D based ones. So COM Express Type 7 is the closest thing to supporting AMD and Intel Processors on the same Motherboard as in Socket 7.

The congatec-B7E7 seems to be already available. A price comparison between difference variants here: conga-B7E3 - AMD EPYC 3000 (Note that the 3251 and 3255 are 140 Euro apart)

Also, AMD stoled 0.01 GHz from the 3451 Base Clock!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ha! So we actually are running both the 12C and 16C parts now. No EPYC 3255 yet. Trying instead to get a 7H12.

Reactions: maes