AMD C32 and G34 Boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi STH community. I just wanted to see if anyone has interest in AMD C32 and G34 platforms. I was planning to pick up AMD server board coverage during the Bulldozer launch cycle, but wanted to see there is a burning desire to see numbers for the current AMD platform.

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
I have no interest in AMD until they release a platform more competitive with the latest Xeon platforms.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
This has been going on for a while. AMD is more cost effective and Intel has more features and raw power. honestly I would go AMD for my file server if the boards had the same features as their Intel counterparts. To simply take care of my precious data I don't need much horse power. What I do need is IPMI, Intel NICs and so on. When I was browsing for my last server board I didn't see a single Supermicro AMD board with IPMI. When the term "competitive" is used we must look beyond computational power. I don't need a 4 core/8 thread CPU for my server, even though it does more than just run WHS. What I do need is ECC and a boat load of other things that only come on server motherboards and only for powerful Xeons under Intel. Personally I'm very interested in what the new AMD server lineup will look like. Next winter is when I'm due for my next real upgrade. I'll be replacing my encoding machine with a Q6600 for some DP board. What happens this summer/fall is pretty important. Sandy Bridge seems to be little more than a Nehalem revision. Clock for clock there isn't much of an improvement. AMD could do some spectacular things in the coming months.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I think Bulldozer is definitely worth a look - its the one word that seems to come up over and over in CPU discussions - "just wait till AMD releases Bulldozer". It's had so much hype that now I'm curious to see how it shakes out next to Intel's offerings. Definitely go for it.

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
Did I misunderstand your question? I thought you were asking us whether we were interested in seeing reviews of current (pre-bulldozer) AMD platforms.

I'm not interested in the current AMD platforms, but I might be interested in Bulldozer when it finally comes out, depending on whether it lives up to the hype.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Lets see some Bulldozer #s. I havent ever been an AMD guy just because i feel that Intel is always ahead in computer power and features. Sure AMD has the price point, but from what i read on the internet bulldozer is gonna be a game changer.....prove it :)

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
The Stocket G34 is very instering with 12-core CPU's to a "reasonable" price, and with a quad-stocket board, 48 cores, sick!

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Lets see some Bulldozer #s. I havent ever been an AMD guy just because i feel that Intel is always ahead in computer power and features. Sure AMD has the price point, but from what i read on the internet bulldozer is gonna be a game changer.....prove it :)
My gut is telling me no way Bulldozer can live up to the hype with the bar so high now.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My gut is telling me no way Bulldozer can live up to the hype with the bar so high now.
I also think this will be tough. Some of the speculation out there puts Bulldozer at 5x current-generation performance which seems a bit hard to achieve. I will say that I would love to be wrong because Intel is still riding the Bloomfield architecture years and a few (very good) tweaks later.

No1451

Jan 1, 2011
I'd like to see what this is capable of, my very AMD-dedicated friend is going to be planning a storage build soon, this could provide something more interesting for him to work with.

Sadly I doubt the hype will be matched but that's life.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'd like to see what this is capable of, my very AMD-dedicated friend is going to be planning a storage build soon, this could provide something more interesting for him to work with.

Sadly I doubt the hype will be matched but that's life.
I may look at current dual 12 core CPU setups also. At less than $800 per CPU, they are at least somewhat interesting.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well, just ordered two Opteron 6164 HE's (total of 24 1.7ghz cores).

Should be interesting. Have two L5640's that I picked up from nitrobass24 also so looks like I can move up the stack a bit.