Ambient cooling strategy - Hot out or cold in?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
TLDR: want to cool smallish rack of kit with ambient air, air in room is hot in summer - better to bring colder air in from outside or get the hot air out?

Having a bit of a tidy up of my meagre homelab and want to revise my cooling strategy slightly.
Here is a list of the major heat-producing I have the following kit in a 36U rack (with side panels and blanking plates for front-to-back airflow:
  • Lenovo/EMC 4-bay NAS
  • Netgear 4-bay NAS
  • Dell C1100 /2x X5650 / 4x Seagate SSD / 128GB RAM (soon to be downgraded to L5630 as I don't need that much power in house any more)
  • Dell R710 / 2x E5630 / 4x 15k 300GB + 4x S3500 / GTX750TI (now surplus to requirements too, up for sale soon)
  • Ancient rackable 2U operton storage server (almost decommissioned, soon destined for the skip)
  • Homebrew E3-1220v3 / GTX 970 / 32GB RAM remote workstation
  • Homebrew Atom D2550 box
  • couple of 3com 2916 switches
  • powerdsine 9106G midspan
  • draytek 2925 router
  • virgin (not-so)Superhub 3
Most of this used to be in the garage with a fibre uplink to the house but then it became clear that damp was a major issue in there (storing diving and kayaking kit in the same room as your servers ain't so smart!), so it now sits in the loft where all is fine for 300 days of the year.

The other 65 days of the year we actually get some decent sunshine here (SW England) and it all gets a bit too toasty up there (36° at the front of the rack, 43° at the rear!). Last summer I had a small portable aircon unit running up there on the hot days but there's a couple of issues with that: it's not automatable (i.e. I can't control it from a thermostat), exhausting the hot air involved running dryer hose down the hatch and out the window, noise and power consumption.

Plan A was to build a hot air containment box at the rear of the rack, fit an extractor fan and vent it outside. But the issue of the incoming air still being hot on a warm day is still present due to the sun beating down on the roof.

Plan B was to duct in air from the side of the house that's always in the shade and blow it at the front of the rack.

(Both A and B can be controlled by a simple £10 thermostat from screwfix.)

Which do you think will be the better approach? I suppose if I really wanted to I could duct in and out if I were careful about where the respective vents went? Any other suggestions welcome (that fit within your typical PhD student's budget!)

moxford

Apr 24, 2017
Hard to say just based on that info.
With warmer/hot air you'll just have to move much more CFM because the temp differential isn't very high.

Can you suck in cooler air from the main part of the house?

Also, they do make temperature-controlled power outlets. That would semi-automate your AC and if things get too warm with whatever you set up then it could still trigger the AC unit to kick on as a backup.

-mox

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You can buy power outlets that are controlled by a thermometer too... they make them for home brewing, and freezer->fridge conversions, etc... I got one that's made for DIYing a humidor and changes the outlet on/off based on humidity too. Turns out beads are much easier to use in a humidor that's not opened 5+ times per-day ;) so I just DIYed an old full-size tall fridge into a humidor and use beads to control humidity :)