EU Amazon Sandisk X300s 512GB / 119€ inkl. VAT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 2, 2016
Iceland
Amazon.de says the price includes VAT , the VAT is 19 % in Germany and 24 % in Iceland.
Does this mean i need to pay 19 % VAT in Germany and 24 % in Iceland when i receive the disk (at the customs in Iceland) , Anyone ?

BTW , Iceland is not part of the EU (yet).

d0kt0r

Jun 17, 2016
Hjalti,
Inside the EU, you dont have to pay any taxes.
So, for Iceland, yes. You will have to pay customs for that, and you will have the specific tax for that. Vat is only applicable in Europe, I guess in Iceland the name will be different.
From my point of view, on your situation. I would focus on buying from USA and not from Europe : You will have to pay always customs and probably on USA, electronics goods will be cheaper.

Jul 2, 2016
Iceland
Hjalti,
Inside the EU, you dont have to pay any taxes.
So, for Iceland, yes. You will have to pay customs for that, and you will have the specific tax for that. Vat is only applicable in Europe, I guess in Iceland the name will be different.
From my point of view, on your situation. I would focus on buying from USA and not from Europe : You will have to pay always customs and probably on USA, electronics goods will be cheaper.
Well , i think it´s a similar situation when buying from USA (however for Amazon.com (USA) doesn't say price includes VAT (But Amazon.com offers foreigners outside of USA to Handle the VAT and add it to the original price when you checkout from the store).

Then i don´t need to deal with the icelandic customs service in Iceland myself.

d0kt0r

Jun 17, 2016
Very valid point.

By the way, something I haven't covered. If VAT is only applicable in Europe, when you buy something from Europe, you should ask for deduct that tax from the price and pay your customs tax on Iceland. Example : For these hard drives, you should pay 119€ -19% Germany VAT = 100€ + shipping.

The same applies when people buy stuff here on Madrid and lives in Switzerland. They can recover VAT expenses from all invoices.

Reactions: Hjalti Atlason
Jul 2, 2016
Iceland
Very valid point.

By the way, something I haven't covered. If VAT is only applicable in Europe, when you buy something from Europe, you should ask for deduct that tax from the price and pay your customs tax on Iceland. Example : For these hard drives, you should pay 119€ -19% Germany VAT = 100€ + shipping.

The same applies when people buy stuff here on Madrid and lives in Switzerland. They can recover VAT expenses from all invoices.
Or join the EU :)

Reactions: d0kt0r

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
Very valid point.

That will work also only if you have a company with a Valid VAT number B2B not B2C

d0kt0r

Jun 17, 2016
That will work also only if you have a company with a Valid VAT number B2B not B2C
That's correct but that's normally applicable for business not for individuals (you will have to pay the corresponding taxes on your country, it is not " a discount").