Amazon - age verification by the delivery man!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
So the missis had a right fit of anger at how Amazon puts trust into their drivers to collect peoples date of births at their doorsteps for age verification.

Personally I agree she should be concerned as I am aware of the background some of these drivers come from and the kind of society-circles some of them are privy too, lets just say you wouldn't be putting your worldly possessions on display for such audiences.

One simply does not put their name, address and date of birth onto a billboard. Identity theft is a very real issue and Amazon of all companies should have better policies and processes in place to safeguard their customers privacy.

A small snapshot of the chat she had with someone in logistics at Amazon: (support person's identity redacted out of respect for privacy!)

opera_lJGjqJ67Yz.png

Reactions: Patrick

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Just to clarify how bad identity theft can really be, about 20 or so years ago, someone took out a loan in my name!!!!!
I then had to show my passport and driving license as proof of signature, luckily the signatures did not match, and the matter was over.
Now just imagine if whoever at that time took out the loan in my name also had my signature??!!! and what if they had also created a bank account under my name (which in this case they probably did too!)... things get very complicated very quickly.

I've not been happy with the way the modern world takes the rights and privacy of individuals so lightly the past couple of decades, it is only set to get worse with drones flying around and tracking apps etc, sure there are excuses, but quite frankly, it clearly shows a complete disregard for traditional respect, soon we will really all be just sheep in pens segregated by whatever policies are sold by the current political narratives.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Scams like the old "apply for a loan in someone else's name" are certainly as old as the hills - knowing someone's name, address and DoB is all it takes for some companies to grant a loan or credit card. Many's the time you'd see in the local papers "man trapped with hand in letterbox" after they'd tried to retrieve the paperwork and/or card as it was posted to the unaware recipient. More stringent laws on money laundering have tightened up the criteria for money transfers somewhat, but last time I looked loans were still stupidly easy to obtain.

Thankfully, amazon not only pays its delivery drivers a small fortune but also treats them like royalty so they've got no reason to ever consider indulging in any extracurricular revenue enhancement schemes, even in today's stridently entrepreneurial economy.

Unfortunately I think most of my contemporaries have lived in freedom for so long they're incapable of recognising the tyranny of zero privacy that so many are welcoming with open arms.

I used to be thankful for living in a jurisdiction that was not only a full-blown participant in GDPR but also created the Data Protection Act back in the 80s in an attempt to reign in the already worrying trend of what could now be called surveillance capitalism. Sadly I'm about to have my medical records sold to the highest bidder by one of the most brazenly corrupt governments in europe, but that's a lament for another time.

On a more pragmatic note, what was it you were ordering that amazon required a doorstep age check for? Booze? Weapons? "Plant fertiliser"?

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
If you expect privacy in this day and age, just give me your name and your address and I will give you your DOB, political party affiliation and probably much more.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
What exactly was purchased where they would even need to verify identity?

If it was a certified delivery, then the expectation is that the receiver identifies them self. I’m not aware of having bought anything from Amazon, irregardless of the cost where they asked for my identification. Heck I’ve ordered thousand dollar items where the courier left in front of my garage in plain view, or chucked towards my front porch. Didn’t ask for my identification.

Now on identity theft, my parents were victims of this where the thieves brazenly opened many credit cards and ordered a $25k watch for example. Then the theft ring sent someone to wait at the street to intercept the package from UPS. Thankfully the UPS lady was smart and asked for an ID, whereupon the guy took off.

Once the feds got involved, eventually they found that the ring originated from the bank employees themselves who were part of the ring. They’d note affluent customers and pass on the info to the ring members. This is one of the most common ways thieves steal identity info.

Sadly since my parents’ info is out there occasionally cards are opened in their name, or attempts to open cards. The problems decreased greatly ever since i installed a deep security mail box for them though since the cards can’t be intercepted anymore.

That being said, companies and courier services have insurance for this. A simple affirmative is more than enough, especially when the receiver is the one opening the door of the residence.

• Sad
Reactions: Dreece

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Perhaps Amazon is being extra careful to comply with laws pertaining to sale of tobacco/nicotine products/paraphernalia to minors. My hair is almost fully grey by this point yet I still get carded all the time for nicotine or alcohol purchases for example. The penalties to the business for knowingly selling to minors are quite large. Businesses often will check age, as that is sufficient for them to cover their bases with regard to the relevant laws.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Obviously it is to do with an age restriction, why else require age verification.

The problem is not the verification, the problem is the fact that a delivery guy takes note of your full date of birth (actually scribbles it into the handheld machine), and apparently they are told to do that. Most these delivery guys can barely speak proper english, they live in really run down areas where the majority are trapped in the 50 Cents trying to get rich quick syndrome... I digress.

Anyway, further digging on this matter has revealed that effectively a year of birth should be good enough, but if it isn't then simply decline to accept the package. Apparently 'it is up to the driver' if he wants to see the full date of birth or not, unless they have received particular notes on that specific delivery.

Simple solution is to simply not order anything from Amazon where they require age-verification, they're too stuck up their own backsides to realise the implications of customers giving their full date of birth to their delivery angels.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019

Would you give your date of birth to these guys?

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of cases across the globe. From delivery drivers taking a crap behind your fence to taking a pish on your drive. For us personally it has been a royal nightmare picking up fast-food packaging from our private road.... tip of the iceberg... and Amazon think their drivers are angels?? bubble world indeed.

If I was to go through my cctv footage and took out all the snaps of the delivery angels, lets just put it this way, you wouldn't be inviting them round for tea! and if it werent for the fact that they have a package for you, you wouldn't let them in past the front gates! let alone give them your date of birth! LMFAO

LOL