Always lowercase SMB sharename? [Napp-It – OmniOS v11 r151018]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Hi all (and mostly @gea),

I have a question regarding share names.

How come the SMB share is lower case? Even if the directory is named "This Is A Directory" the share becomes "this is a directory". Is it possible to get it to respect the way it is named?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You should ask in the illumos maillist (or irc illumos IRC logs [April 16 - 2016]) about the why where Illumos developers are around (ex Gordon Ross from Nexenta who is working at SMB).

btw
There seems a bug with guest access in OmniOS 151018 according a note in the OmniOS discuss maillist.

I also found that OmniOS 151018 is not listed on a Windows machine under "network" even with a Windows server as Master Browser. You can enable Browsing when you set the smbshare property netbios_enable=true (napp-it menu Services > SMB > properties)

Last edited:
Reactions: nle

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks. I went on IRC, but I did not get any replies. Could be the timezone difference. And the mailinglist site seemed down when I tried it.

Btw. do you know if it is possible to prevent creation of OS X files like .DS_store, etc. on OmniOS SMB?

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I suppose no as this is a Mac behaviour. Under OSX or Unix these files are hidden but not under SMB.

btw
I got regular emails from the maillists so they should work.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks, I havent tried again today. Probably a temporary issue with the server.

Anyhow, back to the SMB. Yes, it is OS X files. They contain info about windows size, viewing settings, etc. What I am looking for is a away to "veto files". I know you can do this with a SAMBA config file, but I don't think that exist in the way OmniOS uses it?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The kernelbased Solaris SMB server does not offer a veto option.
While you can use SAMBA on OmniOS, the Solaris SMB server has its own advantages.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for your answers. That was what I feared. Appreciate your help!