Altice Fiber With Own (PFSense) Router (Idea)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Elliott35

Sep 9, 2020
Hi All,

Altice just rolled out fiber in my area (NJ) and I have been searching for a way around using their crap ONT/Gateway AIO. From what i've read, you need to keep the provided hardware and double NAT the network.. This isn't an optimum *pun intended* solution for me. So here is what I am thinking.

Why couldn't I terminate the fiber connection to an SFP+ port on my PFSense router LIKE THIS.

I know that they wont provide alternate hardware, so why not skip it all together? From what I have read online, they are providing the FGW-GR240BG to customers.

Are people just not doing this because they don't have the capable SFP hardware? Will Altice assign an IP in that setup?

TIA

FYI, I don't have phone or TV. I know that's been an issue for Fios customers. I haven't seen anyone talking about it for Altice yet.

CLos

Apr 13, 2020
Based on the picture of the Altice router it does not appear to have a removable GPON SFP module as described in the YouTube video.

I'm in a similar situation. I have Metronet symmetrical Gbit fiber with a Nokia ONT. I'd like to do the same but they don't offer a router/ONT that has a removable module.

CLos

Apr 13, 2020
I think you misunderstood what he did in the video. He pulled out the GPON module from his provider's router and inserted it in the pfsense router. Your router from Altice requires to have a removable GPON module in order for this to work (which it does not appear to have one based on the picture I included).

Furthermore, you can't just replace the module. You would want to use the original one from the provider since it contains the credentials required for authenticating.

Last edited: