Alternatives now that MS screwed up Essentials

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mason

Jun 10, 2016
Microsoft Windows Server 2019 "Essentials" drops IMO two of the most critical aspects of the product line we've enjoyed since Windows Small Business Server: PC back-up and Remote Access.

What's New in Windows Server 2019 Essentials

I've used Windows Server Essentials at home to manage a local domain of 9-12 computers/laptops, etc for my family. Having nightly backups of the those computers has saved me a number of times over the years. The remote access was key in saving my butt when I forgot my son's SS# while in line for the DMV appointment that took 2 months to get.

The only option is to stay on 2016 or look for an alternative. Are there any suggestions?

Frankly, I don't understand why Microsoft continually does this. I mean, it's really just a convenient interface and standard setup for those not wanted to become certified domain admins. They make the excuse that "we" really should be in the "cloud". I'm not sure how the cloud helps me. I certainly don't trust the cloud unless I'm pushing offsite backups through my own encryption.

William

May 7, 2015
Yeah they are pushing 365 hard.

I had a 365 sub for a few years for Office apps, but dumped it after I realized the amount I have spent on subs I could have just bought it, which I did finally.

For backups I use Arconis which I think is a far better solution, but I only backup two machines, maybe three plus my cell phone pictures.

I do like 365 but I just don't need another sub to pay for every month.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
O365 subscriptions are good value if you use the mail and share pint storage etc. You do pay less to just buy the product but only if you don’t want to use the cloud features etc.

I just wish MS offered say an essentials product that really was a fully integrated with azure AD and kind of cache server also holding a local copy of all the sharepoint/ mail etc as backup + being able to run a few local things if needed.