Alternative to JViewer - iKVM and Java8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
I think there has been enough talk about the Java8 support - or lack of. Supermicro has been nice enough to implement the HTML5/iKVM in their latest firmware, unfortunately it looks like they are the only ones (I don't know about the vendors like HP, and such).

But ASRock and ASUS are still living their life with their head in the sand (I currently have an open call with ASUS, and have been told that they are testing), but I do not expect much.

Luckily someone sat down and figured out how to use ipmitool to make a SOL connection to a remote box, which removes the dependability on Java, but it only works on Linux and OSX, more over at freenas: Resource - How to use ipmitool SOL with Asrock motherboards (alternative to JViewer)

I don't have an ASRock board, but it kind of works with my ASUS ASMB8, but until now I've not been able to get into the bios ... in the mean time I hope ASUS decides to fix the issue so that it will work with Java8.