All sold -- was: (Ebay - HP T620 ThinClient (not Plus) w. AMD GX-415GA - $33 or less)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VogonPogo

Apr 7, 2019
HP t620 ThinClient 4GB RAM 16GB SSD Keyboard Mouse AC W7 J2L56UA GX-415GA

HP t620 ThinClient 4GB RAM 16GB SSD Keyboard Mouse AC W7 J2L56UA GX-415GA | eBay

I offered $30 and they accepted. 10 left at the time of writing this.
Came with power supply and (seemingly) brand-new cabled USB keyboard and mouse. No stand. Listed with 4GB RAM, mine came with 8GB (2x4GB SODIMM modules), probably an oversight/accident on their part. Also came with wireless dual-band Mini PCI-E module with internal antennas.

Not the Plus version - so no way of adding a PCI-E NIC.

I think often the non-Plus version came with the slower AMD GX-217GA processor, I can confirm that this one came with the GX-415GA.

No easy way to add additional Ethernet ports, but maybe somebody has use for it with a single LAN port.

I managed to get one of these single port 'Mini PCI Express PCI-E Network Controller Card'
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller-1000Mbps-RTL8168C/dp/B00B524102/
in there (replacing the wireless card).
Took out the serial port connector and mounted the LAN-port there (with some cutting and drilling).
Had to cut the connectors off the cables (too high) and solder the wires directly.
Now I have a slim OPNSense appliance with 2 (Realtek :() ports and AES for altogether $50 and some work.

Reactions: Samir and Marsh

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Anybody else get these? My offer of $25 shipped was rejected. I was going to upgrade my Wyse thin client to one of these since they're 64-bit wes vs 32-bit.

ratherDashing

Jul 3, 2019
I just picked one up and a TL-SG108E and I'm gonna use VLANs. My connection is 75MB so it should be fine.

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
uh... that switch does not support VLAN as far as i can tell...
It does, it's a "smart" managed switch, but (and I don't like saying this after someone has ordered/bought one) it is pretty bad (at least if you care about security)

The management (web) interface is available from all ports, so if you use the switch to multiplex your NIC port into WAN and LAN, expect it to be available from the WAN. This does not necessarily mean accessibility from the internet, but it does not exclude it either (proper ISP configuration would probably prevent it).

There are some tricks you can do, but none I would consider anything better than a hack (for instance I have two of these switches that I have uploaded a configuration that "should" make the management interface use 127.0.0.1 and thus the webserver should listen to that - essentially making them into unmanaged switches).

There are many posts about this witch on the pfsense (netgate) forum as well as on Reddit.

Reactions: Samir

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
the TL-SG108E is fine for simple things. I have two. I got them a long time ago and with v1 they only support app to update them. I think v3 got the web interface.
You can do vlan stuff on them BTW.

upload_2019-7-3_16-7-8.png

VogonPogo

Apr 7, 2019

ratherDashing

Jul 3, 2019
Here's a review of the 5-port version
Not So Smart: TP-Link TL-SG105E V3.0 5-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch

The Zyxel GS1200-5/ GS1200-8 seem to have some weirdness about port-based VLANs

Other consumer level managed switches I researched recently were
Netgear
GS908E
GS105Ev2
GS108Ev3
GS305E
GS308E

Trendnet
TEG-S50ES
TEG-S80ES

D-Link
DGS-1100-05
DGS-1100-08

The GS908E is currently $30 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Managed-Easy-Management-Charging/dp/B076H9RQTW/
Would you suggest that switch over the tp link one I purchased? I got it on amazon so I can just return the tp link one. Thanks!

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
I'm pleasantly surprised by this device and seller - 8gb ram instead of 4gb, standard x86, upgradable m.2 slot, pretty clean windows 7 embedded without any annoying services, reasonaby fast wifi, plenty usb in chassis, passive cooling(or active, but it is totally silent), kiosk mode/lockdown software, extra keyboard/mouse for free.

This feels less like thin client and more like general computer.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Now I wish I would have gotten one to upgrade my Dell gx415ga based thin client that's on win 7 32-bit with only 4gb of ram. If I knew for sure it was going to be 8gb, I would have pounced for sure. :(

The faster thin clients can definitely feel like full-out computers and are excellent to use as rdp/vnc clients. :)

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
These dont have RAM soldered on board - have two standard laptop DDR3. These are expandable.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
These dont have RAM soldered on board - have two standard laptop DDR3. These are expandable.
I know, but that's another cost right? The original deal with 8gb was a solid deal for sure. Only thing was missing was the stand, which isn't cheap oddly enough.

ratherDashing

Jul 3, 2019
Now I wish I would have gotten one to upgrade my Dell gx415ga based thin client that's on win 7 32-bit with only 4gb of ram. If I knew for sure it was going to be 8gb, I would have pounced for sure. :(

The faster thin clients can definitely feel like full-out computers and are excellent to use as rdp/vnc clients. :)
i got mine today. updated the bios no problem through uefi and put pfsense on in about 15 minutes. so far its a really nice machine. bios update took longer than the pfsense install!

some time next week i'll work on actually standing it up in front of my home network.

ratherDashing

Jul 3, 2019
got my two vlans and pfsense working with a single ethernet port. i only have 75MB internet and speed-test cli reports ~100MB up and down so just a touch faster than rated which is usual with my connection so i don't see any performance degradation.

intstalled pfblockng and squid (although squid does less and less now a days with SSL everywhere). got all my port forwarding setup. now everything in the house is going through this bad boy with no real problems. the snapchat ad server is definitely missing our traffic, its insane how many hits everone's phones is doing on that server!