All in One Decom = 2 Home Servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Going to break apart my all in one, I can't handle having my slow/archive/bulk storage as part of it... too much tinkering and tweaking and playing with to keep taking down my bulk storage, and must-b-on VMs. Luckily for me the storage and must-b-on are very minimal.

Currently setup running ESXI on E5-2670 v3 , 96GB DDR4, w/6x WD RED 5TB RAIDZ2, 2x WD RED Pro 2TB RAID1, 2x Intel P3700 800GB.

Going to yank all the spinners out of there!
New/Existing/Used parts:
- Mid Tower Chassis I have sitting around here / Maybe SuperMicro 846
- SuperMicro x9 Motherboard (for Xeon E3 v1/v2)
- RAM: 16-32GB depending on what I can find regarding DDR3 UDIMM sitting around (rare compared to RDIMM)
- Intel XEON E3-1220L V2 (2C /4T super low power)
- LSI 2008 HBA

The idea is to run only the minimum / important stuff on here to keep my house running / info flowing... I've recently been removing all "cheap" cameras and going with Ubqt gear which puts practically 0 load on my CPU of security camera system.

Planned Usage:
- OmniOS/Napp-IT General network file sharing for windows clients / Archive/Backup/bulk storage
- Ubuntu 16.04 -- Unifi Video Manage for security cameras

I'll be pushing the CPU to see what she can really do :) If she can't keep up I've got my eyeball on stepping it up to an E3-1275 v2 or E3-1280 v2 depending on the price/deals currently. Another option I may throw around is selling this mobo/cpu/ram combo and getting a single CPU E5 v1/2 motherboard in exchange so I can use more/cheap RAM, and E5-2630L or other low power E5 I have.

I'm also going to be taking apart my E5 v4 single CPU setup which is my current 'backup' all inone/storage, and selling off that high-core low-freq v4, migrating the 3x5TB mirrored to another low powered 'backup' server or all in one NAS. This way I can repurpose the motherboard from this system for work stuff :)

And to throw another option... I have a 'newer' i3 in my intel 1u with the bad power that i've debated yanking the motherboard/cpu/ram and throwing that in the 846 for home storage! Slightly higher frequency CPU, newer generation, but less connectivity on the motherboard regrading pcie slots, but mobo does have onboard LSI option so that'd be nice.

So many choices :)

Time to start re-arranging today.
Pics coming.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Hm... What you got here was pretty much my idea, which I'm currently building.
What kind of problems you ran into? I'm looking at AIO server for all my needs, including several desktops (passed-through videcards). In that case I can share performance where I need it most: between desktops and VMs.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
No real "problems per-SE, just hassle with a home all in one.

It's not so much against the 'all in one' principal as it is keeping storage up 24/7.

My AIO has had ZeusRAM, SAS3 drives, 10x SSD hot wap, etc... these were in dIY trays, icy dock trays, sitting in the case, etc.. installing another HBA, etc... all require powering on/off and taking my storage off line. The storage my family uses for family video+photo storage and posting on our site(s) so my wife and I need access to the images consistently. I'm still going to leave storage in the ESXI box, but storage I don't play with ;). For now the 2x 800GB p3700 and in the future 4-8x SSD.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Oh. I see that. Since I'm singe and will be the only one user of virtualized AIO that won't be a big problem.
Mine is planned to be smaller then yours: 2-3 videcards, Fusion IO, HBA and 4-6 drives.With HP microserver I'm getting uptime for months. See no reason I will reload bigger server more often.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, I like the 'all in one' principal and am using it on the business side too. I should have a new 1u chassis coming today to actually start a new build about a new/replacement lower power all in one that has NVME on it too :)