UK ALL GONE - Lenovo ThinkStation P350 Tiny new / i5 11500 / 8GB RAM / 256GB NVMe / 3 yr warranty NOW £420 (or less!) delivered

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mark118

Jun 7, 2022
for my p350tiny I bought the sata cable and caddy, the sata cable works great but the caddy does not slot in any where as the heatsink screws seem to be in the way, have I bought the wrong caddy? It came as a set from ebay. ( part number 00XL211 0XL2111)

also Itbay do seem legit, got a 2nd one coming from them tomorrow, and if they dare cut the price again before they sell out maybe a third :eek:

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
for my p350tiny I bought the sata cable and caddy, the sata cable works great but the caddy does not slot in any where as the heatsink screws seem to be in the way, have I bought the wrong caddy? It came as a set from ebay. ( part number 00XL211 0XL2111)

also Itbay do seem legit, got a 2nd one coming from them tomorrow, and if they dare cut the price again before they sell out maybe a third :eek:
I don't have the part number for the P350 caddy I'm afraid. It's possible to look it up on Lenovo's site but it's so onerous I have to psych myself up to do battle with it every time.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - I bought two in one go from ITBay to replace three M920qs, but with the price dropping I'm now very tempted to buy two more to replace my two M70qs to get the PCIe slot and second m.2.

By the way - check the warranties on the Lenovo web site. Mine were already running for three months or so when I got the Tinys, but you can request Lenovo reset the start date to your date of purchase, there's a button to do so. I submitted the ITBay receipts and Lenovo restarted the warranty for both P350s the following day.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK

maxg

Jun 4, 2022
Reactions: Parallax

Conclude1189

Jun 6, 2022
That's correct there is no caddy that can clip into the larger copper cooler of the P350. It doesn't really matter as there is still more than enough room to fit one or more SATA SSDs and the 00XL211 ZIF connector works fine
Can you please explain how to add more than one SSDs? Which cables should I buy to do that?

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Has anyone tried to order these outside the UK? Their website says they ship internationally, and I can enter my US address using paypal “express checkout,” but just curious if anyone else not in the UK has attempted to get one of these direct from the seller.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Has anyone tried to order these outside the UK? Their website says they ship internationally, and I can enter my US address using paypal “express checkout,” but just curious if anyone else not in the UK has attempted to get one of these direct from the seller.
You can try emailing them for a shipping quote, you can also ask them for a discount (why not?) and if they can take off VAT since it's for export. Otherwise I've helped out other people with transhipping if no other avenue is open to you.

Also note for some reason shipping costs to the US from the UK suddenly went up about 40-50% about nine months ago, same as Australia and a couple of other places. No idea why.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Can you please explain how to add more than one SSDs? Which cables should I buy to do that?
I can't really answer the multiple SSD question not having attempted it, I can only answer the logistics angle.

There's only one SATA connector on the motherboard so you presumably need some sort of add-in card for any extra ports; maybe you can do it off the m.2 WiFi slot, bearing in mind you still need to power it, or if you don't intend to use the PCIe slot you can use that. The only source for the ZIF SATA cable and connector that connects to the motherboard seems to be the FRU given earlier.

Given the available space you'd need to take the case off your SSDs if you want to add more than one and/or use the PCIe slot.

It may be easier to get a Tiny with two m.2 drive slots (like this one) and then use a SATADOM drive to boot off, someone did this in the Tiny reference thread. That gives you three drives and you can still add in a 2x 10GbE card say in the PCIe slot.

• Love
Reactions: adman_c

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I mean, the capability of this box with the 11500 plus 3 drives and 10gbe is just off the charts for anything approaching its size. Put 32gb of ram in it and it’s a monster hypervisor in a teensy-weensy box.

Reactions: MiniKnight

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I've sent them an email looking for a shipping quote to the US. I may buy a couple depending on just how costly the shipping is to the US.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
I can't really answer the multiple SSD question not having attempted it, I can only answer the logistics angle.

There's only one SATA connector on the motherboard so you presumably need some sort of add-in card for any extra ports; maybe you can do it off the m.2 WiFi slot, bearing in mind you still need to power it, or if you don't intend to use the PCIe slot you can use that. The only source for the ZIF SATA cable and connector that connects to the motherboard seems to be the FRU given earlier.

Given the available space you'd need to take the case off your SSDs if you want to add more than one and/or use the PCIe slot.

It may be easier to get a Tiny with two m.2 drive slots (like this one) and then use a SATADOM drive to boot off, someone did this in the Tiny reference thread. That gives you three drives and you can still add in a 2x 10GbE card say in the PCIe slot.
Also to note the Thinkstation P350 Tiny has an Intel Q570 chipset that has removed the chipset RST setup utility that you invoke with ctrl-i on previous generations of the Thinkstation Tiny's. As a consequence, you can no longer present an Intel RST Raid 1/0 using both m.2 connectors for operating system installation. You can use the Windows RST Driver to create a RAID with the disks after installation of the OS. (uncertain about Linux but there is a compatible RST package I believe). If all you are after is a pair of disks for windows or to RAID with Intel or Windows storage spaces, etc., Then you are fine. The only catch is, To use the Windows RST utility to create a RAID, the drives have to be Intel branded. A couple of Lenovo employees tested and confirmed this on the Lenovo Workstation community, however, they do not have a list of intel drives certified/tested to work. Windows storage spaces or diskmgmt.mmc can be used on any branded drives.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
FYI--it looks like they will ship them to the US. Waiting on a quote now.
The quote is solid: $426, with shipping starting around $60 to me in Chicagoland. The catch is that they require you to wire them money in advance, so no paypal/cc buyer protection. Given Parallax's success I figured what the heck, I'll volunteer for tribute. So I ordered a couple. Hopefully I didn't just get conned out of almost a grand. LOL. I'll update the thread with what happens.

Reactions: mach3.2 and Velcade

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Seems like you did much better than someone else who asked them for a quote for shipping to the Netherlands. ITbay wanted effectively the price of another unit for shipping four, which is ridiculous (the cheapest shipping option I could find was £20, they wanted £380 or something).

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Seems like you did much better than someone else who asked them for a quote for shipping to the Netherlands. ITbay wanted effectively the price of another unit for shipping four, which is ridiculous (the cheapest shipping option I could find was £20, they wanted £380 or something).
Yikes! That's crazy given the difference in distance.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
The quote is solid: $426, with shipping starting around $60 to me in Chicagoland. The catch is that they require you to wire them money in advance, so no paypal/cc buyer protection. Given Parallax's success I figured what the heck, I'll volunteer for tribute. So I ordered a couple. Hopefully I didn't just get conned out of almost a grand. LOL. I'll update the thread with what happens.
Hot diggity, they shipped! @Parallax these use the regular C5 3-prong connectors at the PSU, right? I.e. these guys?
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 9.26.17 AM.png
Thanks!

Conclude1189

Jun 6, 2022
I reject their quote today. To be honest, I didn't like the way they handled this.
- First quote: They wanted to charge me UK VAT. So I'll be paying double VATs in this case. So 4 units (£1,399.96) + shipping to the Netherlands (£379.99) + VAT (£355.99) = £2,135.94 Then I pay my countr's VAT So 21% of £2,135.94. So 4 units is going to cost me: £2563

Then I asked them Why are you charging me UK VAT? Can we remove it?
- Second quote: 4 units (£1,399.96) + shipping to the Netherlands (£379.99) = £1,779.95

So I told them Shipping cost is really hard. Can we reduce it? Or I can opt-in for my on courier? and use card instead of direct transfer.
- Third quote: So 4 units (£1,399.96) + Card processing fee (£41.99) + UK VAT (£355.99) = £1,730.34

They added back the UK VAT after I told them that I'll bring my own courier.

I ended up passing and not proceeding with an order.