All flash storage server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Paladin

Sep 26, 2016
A small package from China has arrived :) nvme adapters and 4 sff-8643 to sff-80877 cables. I will need to order 4 more for the other two cards.

I am currently using 2 x Dell H330 in HBA mode and 1 x HP H222, at the moment everything is in single path as I am missing the cables. I plan to add two more h330 cards.

What is the best setup for 18 drives? Or even better 16, that way I can reuse the third cage for something else and have one more pci slot.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
I went around and around with several different OS's on a 24x nvme 2U controller + 24x SAS3 2U disk shelf.. I ultimately reverted back to a copy of Windows 2016 DC. Being a Linux newbie I never could get all that comfortable that I had RHEL/Ubuntu configured correctly or hadn't partially crippled functionality trying to make some adjustment to hardware or settings. I suppose I'm just a GUI/familiarity kind of guy :rolleyes:

Freenas for a backup server.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I know it’s an old thread but you know if windows does what you want it’s far from the worst OS you could use as a storage server, has lots of other advantages in terms of support and also low power usage etc

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
I know it’s an old thread but you know if windows does what you want it’s far from the worst OS you could use as a storage server, has lots of other advantages in terms of support and also low power usage etc

If only there was a step-by-step "for dummies" guide on storage server deployment best practices!

Reactions: SwanRonson and K D