AliExpress Mini PC Xeon D1581 $450

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
the d-1581 mainboard appear a while, the lowest price like 150$-200$ for used, personally I don't want buy them. the cpu may or may not re-BGA from some old device(according somebody in recycling industry )
Well, they could also be Shenzhen leftovers - Intel expected much better uptake on the D1500 series on the high end, but almost no one used the D1581s...

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
This barebones seems like a win. I'm thinking about buying one to tinker with. Thoughts?

This little Xeon is 16c/32t at 1-8-2.4GHz

453.64US $ 40% OFF|9th Gen Mini Gaming Pc Intel Xeon D1581 Core i3 9100F i5 9400F i7 9700F MSI GTX1650 GDDR5 DVI HD DP 4K Multi Display AC WiFi|Mini PC| - AliExpress

$450 with the K620. Asking seller, they can do D1581 with the GTX1650 (better for plex) barebones for $623.

View attachment 19197
View attachment 19198
I got....questions.

a) The specs on the machine only match up with some of the CPUs - it's noticeably absent on the i8750/9750H machines.
b) Which chipset are we dealing with here? And how did they mange to support the D1581 (Broadwell-DE) and the rest ('lake CPUs) on the same board?
c) Any motherboard manuals or internal diagrams? If I don't want/need that GTX1650 and want to put a Mel...nVidia ConnectX 5 in there. How do I know if it fits?
d) Does the D1581 provide "something extra"? The Xeon-Ds are supposed to have a 10GbE X552/557 NIC integrated that can support 2 ports. Any breakout support?

Okay, but seriously, this is not that great even at the price - if I gun for a Xeon-D I want support for more than 64GB of RAM (same reason why I didn't go for the HPe EC200A back when it was 150 each). And more than 1 NIC integrated (that NIC better not be Realtek or else it's not playing ball with VSphere 7). And with possibly more than one NVMe slot (or at the very least it should have PCIe 4.0). And either integrated BMC or a serial port if it doesn't have integrated video, and It better have a support package worth paying for. Also, I am not sure if I really like that Xeon-D even if its the OEM version of the D1587 (slightly faster) - it's still a 5 year old CPU and I think Win11 wants at least a "Lake" and not a "well".

My philosophy for these kinda things - if you want more CPU power, get a Ryzen. The same seller has a Ryzen 7 4800H mini-box that's kinda nice for the price and will likely beat the crap out of that old Xeon-D. Unless some variation of that board allows you to break the 2-stick, 64GB-in-total barrier with the Xeon-D and/or features the 10GbE breakout, it just seem pointless to have one. I can see the appeal of the weak Intel 'Lake CPU being rescued by the nVidia and maintaining some gaming dignity against the Ryzen APUs...but what's the point of the Xeon-D in a chassis like this, really?

@Patrick doesn't this machine remind you of the Ghost Canyon NUC9, but not as premium?

Last edited:

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
the d-1581 mainboard appear a while, the lowest price like 150$-200$ for used, personally I don't want buy them. the cpu may or may not re-BGA from some old device(according somebody in recycling industry )
^ this. beware of engineering samples and e-waste CPUs reballed on a night shift M/B. this is why i mentioned that none of these will support BIOS/fw updates, ever. personally i wouldnt touch it. grab a Supermicro M/B if you really want to something built around these CPUs.

personally I have a X10SDV system, from SM, and it works great as a raw I/O device/storage for NFS and the like, but for anything that taxes raw single core power, they won't impress. ex. SMB3/Samba is deadbeat on them, if you use encryption. I think I have maxed at 400MB/s peaks with a fine tuned configuration. That was against a pool of SAS3 SSDs.... so the bottleneck wasn't the HD or the lower level IO layers.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Unless you have a 150% fitting use-case for this exact machine, which I doubt, how in the world would anyone buy this at this price? This is a more complicated system than an Arduino, so you want a stream of BIOS updates to fix at least the most egregious bugs. Everything else is a dealbreaker for me.

Reactions: anomaly

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I think, the motherboard designers of these Chinese boards for Intel U series CPUs and "abandoned" ones like E5-26xx v3 series, D series, develop their board for industrial purposes for the usages in factories at first, then the home usages of home routers/Internet cafes/broadband services for apartment buildings, then the video editing computers, and so on. So the BIOS development is quite limited and may be only for the areas above.

Since these manufacturers renew their generations very fast, their Chinese users upgrade their equipment fast too. Or they will keep in a same major OS version and never update the major versions of their applications if they don't upgrade their equipment.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I think, the motherboard designers of these Chinese boards for Intel U series CPUs and "abandoned" ones like E5-26xx v3 series, D series, develop their board for industrial purposes for the usages in factories at first, then the home usages of home routers/Internet cafes/broadband services for apartment buildings, then the video editing computers, and so on. So the BIOS development is quite limited and may be only for the areas above.

Since these manufacturers renew their generations very fast, their Chinese users upgrade their equipment fast too. Or they will keep in a same major OS version and never update the major versions of their applications if they don't upgrade their equipment.
I am not sure about that entire industrial computer angle - industrial computers have a different connotation here in the US and imply expectations on reliability or resilience in a tough environment - that is, solid state, no moving parts, passive cooling, possibly metallic chassis, and etc. That’s more in line of a Diebold-Nixdorf, Kontron, DFI or Quixant. This plastic box? Eeeh…maybe I read too many ads on Aliexpress from vendors trying to pony off 12 year old ITZR gamer boards as “industrial embroidery machines”, but I am not buying the narrative.

At least in terms of that D1581, it really felt like someone is trying to get rid of a bunch of parts before their value falls off a cliff by shoehorning it into this box - I can’t figure out if it’s a waste of a D1581 (good chip in something like an X10SDV where it has the 10GbE breakouts and the RAM capacity, but totally ridiculous being here) or a waste of a cheap mini gamer board (soldered older CPU in an otherwise more modern board). Either ways, in my opinion, not a compelling value-prop.

Last edited:
Reactions: anomaly and Fritz

mavie21

Dec 27, 2016

Some open box for the mainboard.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Another motherboard vendor of this D-1581

It is very similar to the #11 post I mentioned before.

The differences between the old desktop computer version (the #1 post) and this one are:
(1) In the spec sheet, it takes DDR4 registered ECC ram;
(2) dual mini-sas ports;
(3) BMC and VGA interface(VGA through the BMC VGA output slot);
(4) a USB 3.0 port on board.

The older desktop versions cost RMB 650-720 in year 2021-2022 on Xianyu platform(A Taobao relative app/platform for buying and selling 2nd hand stuffs).

Just as what was said above, firmware updates are the key questions on these boards.

Update:
The CPU cooler installation for a similar board(in Chinese) links:
Alibaba link: link

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Looks like it uses the ASpeed 2500 BMC, so not too shabby. But firmware considerations all the same.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Update:
The CPU cooler installation for a similar board(in Chinese) links:
Alibaba link: link
(Note: The HSGM brand D1581 board uses DDR3 rams, not DDR4)

The HSGM D1581 board's official page(The URL is too long, and probably no further BIOS update, since the downloads are drivers only):

Someone said the CPU cooler is pretty hard to install on this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Is the price difference between aliexpress one and ebay one from the fee difference of platforms?

Below ebay page has the motherboard pictures of the D-1581 desktop computer. Huge difference from the server board design.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Is the price difference between aliexpress one and ebay one from the fee difference of platforms?
ebay has almost twice the fees of aliexpress so should be the price diffrence.

As much as the D-1581 is tempting, there is starting to come more and more of the datto xeon-d boxes like this D-2143IT.
There is a few datto liquidators getting 1-2 a week with random between 4LFF or 10SFF it seems, probably tradeins.

The max 512gb ram and mezzanine to switch from typical 10gbase-t to sfp+ or qsfp makes them more tempting for me.
Also based on a solid asrock mobo so there is actualy updates etc for it.
Lack of any updates/support tends to be the problem with the random small brands in my experience, just a production run to use up chips and the product is dead to them as all sold.
1681108116121.png

Last edited:

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
The discussion on the variances of D-1581 boards ( in Chinese language )