Air conditioning a rack...is there a simple solution?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
And mind you all, a CHEAP one at that? Like maybe portable A/C units that can cool singular racks? If so this would really be a godsend since I'd get to keep my rack out in the garage instead of having to bring it in.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

neo

Mar 18, 2015
How much is in your budget? A premade solution for something enterprise niche would be unfortunately expensive.

However, creating a homemade solution shouldn't be awfully terrible.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
The problem with conventional air condition is that they all will need a water drain line and a hot air exhaust port.

If I was in your position, I would possibly install a window a/c unit and run ducting directly from it to the rack.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I don't have to literally mount a window a/c unit in a window do I? Doesn't it just need access to some air that it can condition?

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I'd be curious to know if it's actually a plausible solution to just put that IN a rack , at the bottom. I'll lose some rack space but wouldn't the air just rise and cool the whole unit without having to duct it?

My rack has both side panels but the front/rear doors are perforated.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
The problem is that while it's blowing cold air out the front, it's blowing hot air out the back. It'd be useless in the rack

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
edit; nevermind, I see what you're saying. the installation manual explicitly says it blows hot exhaust air out the back, so it's not like that hot air would be reasonably coolable anyway.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I don't have to literally mount a window a/c unit in a window do I? Doesn't it just need access to some air that it can condition?
Including the Amazon one posted - Air conditioners work by transferring the heat in the air into the refrigerant contained in the unit's coils, thus cooling the air. In order to keep cooling, that heat has to be exhausted to the outside air.

I'd be curious to know if it's actually a plausible solution to just put that IN a rack , at the bottom. I'll lose some rack space but wouldn't the air just rise and cool the whole unit without having to duct it?
That would be thermally inefficient. You always want to place your cold air vents at the top. Just remember, cold air sinks and hot air rises.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I was going to do the floor standing and 'inject' into the airflow for the rack but think i'm going window AC unit style mounted inside with exhaust flowing out, easier to install and use and less space.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The heat from the AC still remain in the room though...
As someone who uses 3 floor standing AC units for various tasks your statement while somewhat true is not entirely true, the vent handles the actual heat accumulation inside the room. The unit itself does NOT put off heat, the vent DOES put off heat.

90-100* outside 12k BTU can keep my downstairs 74-76*F

12k BTU for 1 rack not running 100% or older/hotter gear should be sufficient unless it's installed in a "hot" low ventilated room in general.

I'll have a lot of build pictures of my mini-datacenter with AC, ventilation, etc.. I've done a bunch of misc. research too so feel free to ask :) I'm going for USB sensor, automated air-controls, ac, etc... should be pretty fun project and not too complex :D

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Just wanted to share what I was planning on doing. I have nothing drawn out yet but perhaps this may give you some ideas.

I have a one car garage with a high ceiling. My plan was to build a loft in rear part of the garage, behind the garage door opener so that I can still park a car inside. I can easily accomodate a 16-18U rack from the loft floor to the ceiling and enough room below the loft for a 6.5 foot person to stand upright. This is using 2x6 joists, perhaps even 2x8.

Anyway, for the cooling my plan was to put the racks (two, perhaps three) along one wall. At the top of each rack, create a plenum to a duct to suck out the hot air from behind the rack using a dryer booster fan. I'm using something similar to vent a stereo rack on my third floor into the attic. I will place a portable A/C unit (that is capable of evaporating the condensate) like the ones linked in this thread in close proximity of the rack. I will wall in the rack and the A/C unit using a freezer strip door or something similar commonly used in warehouse doorways. Then I will duct the hot air exhaust from the A/C and the racks either into the garage (outside the walled in area) or, if I can get permission to cut the wall (I live in a townhouse community) to the outside. My garage is not insulated so it's pretty much whatever the outside temperature is. I'm hoping to create a cooled area in the corner of the loft for the equipment, with the rest of the loft used for general storage.

Reactions: T_Minus

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
make sure you build it redundantly as 1 device will eventually fail. I always run 2+1 (1 cold spare) since randomly after power events one of the tripp lites is bound to not restart properly..