AIO slow, network stability issues? Totally confused

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Maybe this is a networking / ESXI question more than a napp-it AIO question, but I thought I'd start here just in case someone with a similar installation to mine has seen this.

I'm running an AIO setup on ESXi 6.7. SMB shares to windows clients, NFS shared internally between VMs. Occasionally, and quite often, a large file transfer will cause the mapped drives to become unresponsive. I end up going through a series of reboot cycles of the VMs, host, switch and router to be able to restore normal operation. It has me losing my mind. I just don't understand why that could happen. I have a suspicion that it could be related to my network setup, but it seems stable in most other situations.

ESXi is set to NIC team over the 2 physical ports, using "IP Hash" as the method. VLANs are set up at the vSwtich, the physical switch, and my Tomato router. Switch is set with a static LAG, and the two links to the ESXi server are trunked/teamed.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
may or may not be the issue but you are not likely to gain much in teaming NIC's on ESXi. Likely just adding more complication.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
I've heard similar from other folks. I suppose running multiple VLANs can be done over a single cat5e. Is there any tools that anyone knows of that a simple man can employ to determine network problems on an AIO esxi box?

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
you can use multiple cables, let the host handle the traffic natively. There is no need to configre LAG's or LACP

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Well, as a follow up, I can't say I've had any problems since moving away from LAGs. My remaining issues are speed related. On ESXi 5.5 I was getting 100-120 MB/s, where on ESXI 6.7 I top out at 80.