AI and Deep Learning Lab storage - is this what you're using?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AI4me

Dec 7, 2016
I'm starting forums with vigor today. If I'm signing up I may as well join in right?

So I'm going to build a small AI learning machine for my office. Here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?posts/117292/

We've got pretty good connectivity at work but I don't want to put my skill development storage on our enterprise arrays in case I ever wanted to do this full time in 2-3 years.

I know you need like LOTS of training data. How big are the arrays you guys are all using? I've got a colleague who suggested using FreeNAS since its.... well.... free. He says it's slow but it connects to most things.

I'm not really a Ubuntu fan since its a distribution for people who don't know how to install RHEL or CentOS. I've heard Ubuntu ZFS and NFS is faster than FreeNAS. Or should I just try doing a low power 3 node Ceph with cheap Pentium N systems?

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
If you setup a FreeNAS-System correctly the throughput is fast enough...

It depends on:
- Hardware
- Network
- Protocol

You also can go the napp-it route, OMV and other distributions, but FreeNAS is not slow at all.

Regards
Markus

AI4me

Dec 7, 2016
If you setup a FreeNAS-System correctly the throughput is fast enough...

It depends on:
- Hardware
- Network
- Protocol

You also can go the napp-it route, OMV and other distributions, but FreeNAS is not slow at all.

Regards
Markus
I've not seen many use FreeNAS for data science? What if I want to download the yahoo or Wikipedia data sets and train models with them?

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
In the end it is just "data", isn't it?

It totally depends on your requirements if a solution solves your problem.

What exactly are these requirements (how much storage, how many clients, what kind of requests, read/write rate...)?
Regards
Markus