Affordable mid size managed PoE+(+) switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Think

Jul 5, 2017
I'm looking for a PoE switch that is affordable, in purchase price and operating cost.

I need to connect 7 PoE devices, cams, and APs - and one PoE powered switch. So 6 PoE(+) devices and one PoE++ device - the switch. I also need to connect 7 non-PoE devices, incl. SAT-IP. Uplink is 2xRJ45 Copper, should be faster than 2x 1 Gbps. VLANs tagged & untagged are used, and the switch should have a cli so that ports (PoE) can be en- and disabled through scripts.

I'm currently thinking of an FS S3100-16TMS-P. Feature set and ports - incl. higher speed for the uplink - could work. And energy consumption wise, as per the specs it looks attractive (25W max. w/o PoE). I'd deal with the PoE++ device through a separate PoE injector. (PoE++ switches appear much worse in energy consumption.)

If anyone has a different/better suggestion, I'd be very interested - as well as in any experience with FS 3100 series.

Thanks!

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
If you’re willing to buy used, perhaps the Ruckus ICX 7150-C12P? 14x 1Gb ports, 12 of which have POE+. 2x 10Gb SFP+ uplink. Looks like they’re on ebay for between $300-$400.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
I think the Aruba Instant On JL683A is a similar price point with a few more ports.