Aeon mining thoughts.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I've been watching Aeon. It's getting crushed. $2.10 to $1.90 in like 2 days. Mining is jumping ship too. It was 15.5MH/s yesterday and now down to 13.6.

If @Patrick ran a pool, I'd consider spinning a few small boxes just to help, but I'm not mining Aeon in the expectation that I'll retire off it.

lonelykid1984

Oct 12, 2017
Hi, I'm new here and actually new to crypto world. I just tried mining Aeon because it's low diff. I'm playing with AWS g3.4xlarge instance, which I think is quite powerful.
But I got extremely low hashrate compared with your benchmark. Could someone tell me whether I did something wrong or AWS is just slow.

xmrig-nvidia: I built it from source. I have CUDA 9.0 with latest driver. Very slow and I got lots of COMPUTE ERROR

xmrig-cpu: build from source. Better performance, but still pretty slow.

cpuminer: very slow.
ccminer: also much slower than xmrig

aeon-stak-cpu: comparable to xmrig-cpu

aeon-stak-nvidi: failed to build it. but I don't expect it to be much better than xmrig

Any help would be appreciated.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
You should start on CPU instances.

People that mine in the cloud are those stealing AWS credits from somewhere. Not profitable. It's better to use a CPU instance to lower your losses if you're paying for it.

Reactions: nfsden

lonelykid1984

Oct 12, 2017
You should start on CPU instances.

People that mine in the cloud are those stealing AWS credits from somewhere. Not profitable. It's better to use a CPU instance to lower your losses if you're paying for it.
Thanks for your advice. will try compute optimized instance. I just want the gain could cover my payment. This is possible if I could reach their demonstrated hash rate. I know g3 is GPU instance, but E5-2686 v4 seems not bad.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks for your advice. will try compute optimized instance. I just want the gain could cover my payment. This is possible if I could reach their demonstrated hash rate. I know g3 is GPU instance, but E5-2686 v4 seems not bad.
AWS you do not get full underlying hardware and there will also be a difference between different instances on different machines.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Not a top 100 crypto is too small for my blood even when I'm feeling adventurous.

Almost no exchanges. Gotta be something else.

I'm not looking to mine then exchange immediately, I plan on mining, and hold the coins, until the difficulty starts to increase too much then go on to another interesting coin.

Who knows in a year or two maybe it will pay off for me.

Since i'm a holder, its a hobby for me, so if I am eventually able to offset the price of new hardware thats all i'm really looking to do.

EDIT: Of course if Monero shoots up to $1000 and Aeon to $20.00 and if Siacoin ever reaches $.25 :rolleyes:I will not complain.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just an interesting note on AEON-pool. I was mining 0% donation xmrig and yesterday earned around 33 AEON. That is ~85KH/s.

My hashrate in the Aeon-Pool UI was closer to 95KH/s average for the last few days (miners were showing higher) which should have seen a 37+ AEON payout.

This may be normal variation but seems a bit large for a 1.1% donation pool that is so big (30%+ of the network)

Will do an experiment when I can get a few larger machines running. Down to lower rates now.

That differential may be enough to get me to do my own pool.

Reactions: Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Patrick , please do a STH pool.

I am splitting 17K H/s with XMR and 17K H/s with Aeon.
I am going to see my power bill tomorrow , the I'll decide to fire up more miners.

Winter is coming in 30 days, there will be plenty of heat this year.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was thinking of giving it a go as a private-only pool. I think between @Marsh @Klee myself and a few others we could have 2-3% of total network hashrate.

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
There already is and it is already powering over 1% of AEON global mining.
Can you please clarify @Patrick - are you saying that the monero_xmrig:latest Docker image that you recently uploaded contains an environment variable that enables the selection of the cryptonight-light hashing algorithm?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Can you please clarify @Patrick - are you saying that the monero_xmrig:latest Docker image that you recently uploaded contains an environment variable that enables the selection of the cryptonight-light hashing algorithm?
No - testing another version for cryptonight-light

zdude

What is a Computer?
Aug 29, 2017
While I don't have the 17KH/s some of you guys have, I am running ~4kH/s on aeon right now that I would put into a STH pool if it were to be a thing.

Algeroth

Sep 29, 2017
If You have any non inclusive cache CPUS (some v4, and SP) spare Your real core threads for monero mining (2 to 4) and You will get 5-6 times more hrate in comprasion to xmr mining
thats how you can still mine xmr, and on those spare cores also aeon, so instead of getting 3,5 times more hrate from whole cpu, you will get 6 times more hrate than monero spending 100H/s from monero

thats mine observation on skylakes, so i'm using dual mining... xmr and aeon on the same node
on EPYC's it's unfortunatley not working like that :)

regards

A

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
@Algeroth I don't get it? How do you figure out numbers of threads for both?

Aeon seems really illiquid. One exchange to make it anything useful

Nero24

Jul 26, 2017
www.planet3dnw.de
Aeon seems really illiquid. One exchange to make it anything useful
Aeon is one of the younger Altcoins and thanks to the Cryptonight protocol one of the few you can mine with CPUs. You might be lucky and the quotation goes thru the roof anytime in a far future – then you'll be millionaire like those who mined Bitcoins in 2010 or Ethereum in 2015 and sold them years later – or not like many other Altcoins which failed. But it's for sure a much higher chance than playing the lottery ;)