AEON Mining Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iamtelephone

Jan 30, 2017
I could be in the market for an i5 8600k that I’ll take to 5Ghz. Worth it? 12 virtual threads but only 9 megs cache. Or a 5820k at 4.5+ more cache same threads but older core.
Thoughts?
If you want to venture into desktop equipment, I'd just buy used i7's as even a non over-clocked i7-2600 can get ~1015h/s on AEON (xmrig av1).

Along with what @Joel stated that " i7-7700K gets ~1100h/s", there's little to no reason to fork out for newer i7's (for mining).

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Reactions: gigatexal

iamtelephone

Jan 30, 2017
So steer me straight here. I have about 700 to blow. What combo of stuff should I get to maximize my mining efforts? I figured some e5 units but if many i7s are cheaper per H/s then I’ll do that.
It depends where you're located and if you have cheap power. In the USA, used server equipment is much easier to come across. It's louder and power hungry, but you can make good returns.

If power is expensive or you're elsewhere in the world, then desktop equipment will be more accessible and efficient.

I will mention that you should check your local e-recycler and local auctions. i7-2600's and i7-3770's are off lease (businesses) and a lot of gamers are upgrading now. If you play your cards right, you can pick-up a good bulk deal ;)

I can source a i7-2600, mobo, and ram for ~$150. Since I'm not in the USA this is the best option I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
It depends where you're located and if you have cheap power. In the USA, used server equipment is much easier to come across. It's louder and power hungry, but you can make good returns.

If power is expensive or you're elsewhere in the world, then desktop equipment will be more accessible and efficient.

I will mention that you should check your local e-recycler and local auctions. i7-2600's and i7-3770's are off lease (businesses) and a lot of gamers are upgrading now. If you play your cards right, you can pick-up a good bulk deal ;)

I can source a i7-2600, mobo, and ram for ~$150. Since I'm not in the USA this is the best option I have.
I’m not worried about power consumption or heat or noise as the lab would be in the garage

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
i think i have decided to mine with the random hardware i have lying around -- and then just buy coins that i can. it doesn't make sense to buy hardware for this it seems most of us are just mining with our excess capacity in our datacenter-in-homes

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I only see them with options for 6212 which are 8 core parts. But this is a great way to get cores to mine.

I wonder though if intel parts with better IPC wouldn’t be better

Makes me mad I sold my 6376s for so cheap.
Ugh.....yeah they must have changed the CPU. Sorry about that. Still, it's a 62XX series.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
My Precious.....

Yeah, I've been buying these. They have a decent supply, but I bought 40 in one shot in case other people clear them out before I can get a decent number of these.

When the recent order shows up, will have 47 chassis / 94 servers of these. Currently have 3 chassis mining and 4 more to set up, waiting on 40 chassis to arrive. It gets old testing out server and motherboard models, only to not buy them anymore once you find a good one. My ultimate goal is to have a lot more than 47 of these chassis, but it's a good start.

Anyway, I got some power numbers finally. The "ipmitool dcmi power reading" doesn't account for all the power use because of the shared chassis. So needed to hook up a meter to get good numbers.

385 watts per chassis (2 nodes), mining Aeon on dual e5-2680v2 (per node), with 8 cores per CPU enabled in the bios. 32gb sandisk usb stick for the OS, 2x4gb ddr3 ecc 1.5v. 4000-4100 h/s per node, so roughly 8,100 h/s for 385 watts. 21.0 h/s/w.

Going to a full 10 cores adds about 20w (haven't tested 10 cores active with a meter, this was measured from ipmitool watt reportings with 8 vs 10 cores) and only gives you about 100h/s extra. 5 h/s/w with increased cores -- not worth it.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Are those Vega frontier edition cards with 16GB HBM any better for mining than their RX Vega 64 counterparts?
There was a huge price drop recently (<700€ for a short period), now they are not that much more expensive than available RX Vega 64.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Are those Vega frontier edition cards with 16GB HBM any better for mining than their RX Vega 64 counterparts?
There was a huge price drop recently (<700€ for a short period), now they are not that much more expensive than available RX Vega 64.
From what I've read: no. They use more power, are harder to get working, and are not faster.

Reactions: alex_stief

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
My Precious.....

Yeah, I've been buying these. They have a decent supply, but I bought 40 in one shot in case other people clear them out before I can get a decent number of these.

When the recent order shows up, will have 47 chassis / 94 servers of these. Currently have 3 chassis mining and 4 more to set up, waiting on 40 chassis to arrive. It gets old testing out server and motherboard models, only to not buy them anymore once you find a good one. My ultimate goal is to have a lot more than 47 of these chassis, but it's a good start.

Anyway, I got some power numbers finally. The "ipmitool dcmi power reading" doesn't account for all the power use because of the shared chassis. So needed to hook up a meter to get good numbers.

385 watts per chassis (2 nodes), mining Aeon on dual e5-2680v2 (per node), with 8 cores per CPU enabled in the bios. 32gb sandisk usb stick for the OS, 2x4gb ddr3 ecc 1.5v. 4000-4100 h/s per node, so roughly 8,100 h/s for 385 watts. 21.0 h/s/w.

Going to a full 10 cores adds about 20w (haven't tested 10 cores active with a meter, this was measured from ipmitool watt reportings with 8 vs 10 cores) and only gives you about 100h/s extra. 5 h/s/w with increased cores -- not worth it.
when you bought them did they come with the v 3.0 or newer bios for the v2 xeons? trying to decide if i have to get a v1 xeon just to flash the bios