AEON Mining CentOS 7 v. Debian 9

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Here is a really interesting data point.

Both systems are the exact same Supermicro Ultra 2U with dual E5-2698 V4's which have been around for some time. Same BIOS settings, same DDR4-2400 32GB DIMMs.

One is CentOS 7.4 based, one is Proxmox VE 5.1 (Debain 9 Stretch) with hugepages set to 128. Both are using docker and the xmrig priv image (av=2 mining)

CentOS 7: 6500H/s
Debian 9: 6760H/s

What is somewhat surprising is that the Debian 9 (Proxomx VE) system is running the entire Proxmox stack and ZFS.

I was quite shocked to see a Debian platform running applications still 4% ahead here, especially on a legacy platform that is a full generation old.

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
All my miners (currently 3) run on Debian 9 either virtualized (Proxmox, VMWare Workstation) or directly on bare metal. I guess, I am glad I picked Debian.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
How does the data points compare to Ubuntu OS 17.x? Would also be interesting to see what windows 10 also does( if the miners are also available for windows os.) Just to compare data points.

Reactions: nfsden

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
xmrig-aeon kept crushing on me while running in Windows 8.1. When I run it within Debian using docker containers, it is running just fine...

aij

May 7, 2017
Which kernel versions are those? Is that 3.10 + RHEL patches vs. 4.13 + Debian + Proxmox patches?

4% still seems like a surprisingly large difference. Are BIOS settings the same on both?

I've mostly been mining on Nixos, but have one Ubuntu box in the mix. I should compare them on identical hardware soon. (need to move CPUs around)

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I'm actually not that surprised. CentOS-7 is slower with many benchmarks compared to other distros on the same hardware. See this comparison:

15-Way Linux OS Comparison Shows Mixed High-Performing Linux Distributions - Phoronix

I'm a RHEL/Fedora/CentOS fan, but even I have to admit what the numbers show.

Intel's Clear Linux seems to perform very well in some of those benchmarks...

I have been wanting to run Clear Linux to check it out for a while, might have to throw it on a server sometime.

I've noticed the best performance with Ubuntu 17.10 mining with xmrig of the newer Ubuntu's.