[Advise] Rails with square clamps

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
I have a 22U server rack. It has square holes.
I have two 3U servers
I realized I need rails that have square clamps on the side, so they just kinda clamp with the rack.

Where would I start by looking if I am interested in purchasing this.

I searched eBay for "Square Rack rails" and got nothing. Not sure if no one is selling it or I just dont know what they are called.

Any advise/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
Usually, you just use the cage nuts and screw the rails to those.. Not sure I've seen generic rails anywhere with the pegs like some OEM solutions provide (i.e. Dell).

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Usually, you just use the cage nuts and screw the rails to those.. Not sure I've seen generic rails anywhere with the pegs like some OEM solutions provide (i.e. Dell).
One of my servers came with the square rails. I didn't need to screw them in.
They just kinda clicked in the rack and everything was golden!

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
If you search for "rapid rails" or "quick rails" for your server/case you will probably find what you need. That is what they tend to call the ones that just click into the square hole racks and make life much faster than cage nuts & screws for everything.

edit - iirc HP(E) had some wonky name for their rail kits too if you have HP gear, but in general they rails we got were always more complex with cable arm attachments and a similar rapid click-in type deal that worked with any square hole racks.

Just make sure the depth of your rack is somewhat standard and you didn't squeeze the back vertical rails forward or back too much to fit in a shelf or odd equipment as the rapid rails often don't have as much play in install depth as a set that needs screws & cage nuts.

Reactions: warlockedyou

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
If you search for "rapid rails" or "quick rails" for your server/case you will probably find what you need. That is what they tend to call the ones that just click into the square hole racks and make life much faster than cage nuts & screws for everything.

edit - iirc HP(E) had some wonky name for their rail kits too if you have HP gear, but in general they rails we got were always more complex with cable arm attachments and a similar rapid click-in type deal that worked with any square hole racks.

Just make sure the depth of your rack is somewhat standard and you didn't squeeze the back vertical rails forward or back too much to fit in a shelf or odd equipment as the rapid rails often don't have as much play in install depth as a set that needs screws & cage nuts.
Ty. I am still browsing to find the right one :oops:

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
When we say cage nuts we mean these

Amazon.com: NavePoint M6 Cage Nuts & Screws for Server Shelves Cabinets - 50 Pk Rack Mount: Computers & Accessories

Those allow for most anything to be attached to square hole racks shelves, rails, etc. Hardware-less rails are not common place so having a bag of those will get everything into the rack.
I was looking to get those, but I think the rack that I have uses M4 or M5 screws instead.
Also, is there a better alternative for these rails?
Amazon.com: Chenbro 84H321710-041 26" Easy-Mount Slide Rail For Chenbro 2U/4U Server Chassis: Computers & Accessories

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
The nut in the package determines which M size you use. If you already have nuts that use a specific size then use those but if you buy a package then use the screws that come with it. The square on the racks "should" be universal size (every square hole rack I have seen has the same size hole).

If you don' t want to use cage nuts then not really.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
The nut in the package determines which M size you use. If you already have nuts that use a specific size then use those but if you buy a package then use the screws that come with it. The square on the racks "should" be universal size (every square hole rack I have seen has the same size hole).

If you don' t want to use cage nuts then not really.
It wasn't really the cage nuts that were giving me the problem. It was the holes on the ears of the servers that were giving me a hard time. I remember the cage nuts being the same size, but screws were too big for the ears on the server.
I might have a different experience when I try to screw in the rails and not the ears. I still think I am going to wait until I get the rails before ordering the nuts/screws to make sure they are compatible with each other.

Let me know if anyone has any experience with any good rails for Chenbro 2U and 3U servers.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Let me know if anyone has any experience with any good rails for Chenbro 2U and 3U servers.
If those are the chassis you got from me, they're Ci Design NSR-316, not Chenbro. I think I printed out a manual for the chassis and put it in the box of accessories. Here is the rail installation manual.

I looked around here for matching rails and I couldn't find any. These are pretty common "old school" rails, not computer-specific. They're a flat black metal finish, and the brand label is silver with black and green printing. But I can't remember who the actual manufacturer is.

Of course, if this is for a different chassis, nevermind...

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
If those are the chassis you got from me, they're Ci Design NSR-316, not Chenbro. I think I printed out a manual for the chassis and put it in the box of accessories. Here is the rail installation manual.

I looked around here for matching rails and I couldn't find any. These are pretty common "old school" rails, not computer-specific. They're a flat black metal finish, and the brand label is silver with black and green printing. But I can't remember who the actual manufacturer is.

Of course, if this is for a different chassis, nevermind...
Hello Terry,
I am infact looking for rails for the 3U servers that I bought from you. I also need rails for one SuperMicro server. What kind of rails do you think would be good for these boxes?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Hello Terry,
I am infact looking for rails for the 3U servers that I bought from you. I also need rails for one SuperMicro server. What kind of rails do you think would be good for these boxes?
The Ci Design ones are really generic slide rails - the rail brand (which I wish I could remember) dates back to TV studio equipment in 19" racks. None of the "special rails for each different model" like Dell or the "depends on how old it is" from Supermicro.

I'd suggest just calling Ci Design and asking them. They can at least tell you how much they want to sell you the rails. If they ask for the serial number, it is in the chassis and you have to take out the bottom left disk drive to see it. As always, don't volunteer that you bought this used on the Internet. If asked, you can say the system was un-racked and stored and somehow got separated from the rails when you went to re-install it. If they don't ask you if you're the original purchaser, you don't have to volunteer that information.

For Supermicro, you probably need to email their tech support and give them the model / serial number of the chassis and then they can tell you the part number. You can either get them from the Supermicro online store or on eBay (I like seller tm_space for Supermicro odds-and-ends).

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
The Ci Design ones are really generic slide rails - the rail brand (which I wish I could remember) dates back to TV studio equipment in 19" racks. None of the "special rails for each different model" like Dell or the "depends on how old it is" from Supermicro.

I'd suggest just calling Ci Design and asking them. They can at least tell you how much they want to sell you the rails. If they ask for the serial number, it is in the chassis and you have to take out the bottom left disk drive to see it. As always, don't volunteer that you bought this used on the Internet. If asked, you can say the system was un-racked and stored and somehow got separated from the rails when you went to re-install it. If they don't ask you if you're the original purchaser, you don't have to volunteer that information.

For Supermicro, you probably need to email their tech support and give them the model / serial number of the chassis and then they can tell you the part number. You can either get them from the Supermicro online store or on eBay (I like seller tm_space for Supermicro odds-and-ends).
Got it. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Got it. Thank you for the detailed explanation!
I found 2 sets of an older Ci Design rack rails. They're from a Ci Design SR-316, not an NSR-316. I don't know if they're exactly the same or not. The rails are "General Devices Chassis Trak" and the Ci Design part label on the end says:

1SET.08-6044-01B
CC3084-99-0032(10-26-04)

A search for the "6044" part number turns up this installation PDF, which says these are one of the part numbers for your NSR-316, so I think they're worth a try. If you want to come pick 'em up, or will reimburse me for shipping, let me know.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
I found 2 sets of an older Ci Design rack rails. They're from a Ci Design SR-316, not an NSR-316. I don't know if they're exactly the same or not. The rails are "General Devices Chassis Trak" and the Ci Design part label on the end says:

1SET.08-6044-01B
CC3084-99-0032(10-26-04)

A search for the "6044" part number turns up this installation PDF, which says these are one of the part numbers for your NSR-316, so I think they're worth a try. If you want to come pick 'em up, or will reimburse me for shipping, let me know.
It's worth a try. Will send a PM