Advise on cooling 22,000 watts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Pictures when you are done. Please
I always like to learn.
For sure this is my current setup only using 24 amps in this new room for now but I'm adding 4 more stations all utilizing 24 amps /220 volts. I ordered the mini splits today hopefully will have them is 5-6 days.

I'm using a 12,000 btu portable unit for now and its keeping the room at 63 +/- 5 with the door open if I close the door it goes up to about 75 because I have no exhaust in the room right now besides the portable AC exhaust room is 130 sq ft.

Current Room

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Well 44,000 watts generates 150,134 btu's. There are 12,000btu's per ton. That means you need 12.5ton's of cooling not factoring in ambient temperatures and radiant heat and such.

3ton isn't gonna cut it.

edit: Looks like maybe the plan has changed a little or you are going to use multiple 3ton units.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Well 44,000 watts generates 150,134 btu's. There are 12,000btu's per ton. That means you need 12.5ton's of cooling not factoring in ambient temperatures and radiant heat and such.

3ton isn't gonna cut it.

edit: Looks like maybe the plan has changed a little or you are going to use multiple 3ton units.
Was just thinking of using one for now and having an open exhaust with the door leading to the back room where there is a utility fan.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I do not cool my mining room ( AKA family room ). I used exhaust fan to remove hot air.
The servers are happy to run at 80-85 degree during normal summer month when the outside temperate in the upper 80's degree.

Reactions: ELit3

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I do not cool my mining room ( AKA family room ). I used exhaust fan to remove hot air.
The servers are happy to run at 80-85 degree during normal summer month when the outside temperate in the upper 80's degree.
What fans do you use?

Marsh

May 12, 2013

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Putting more though into it for a future testing setup id like to see how something like this would work:

Using the below as the fans
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083IRT5U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

I would need to figure out a good exhaust to push the hot air from inside the room into the attic where it can take its natural way out of the building through the pre build exhaust.

No other cooling source besides the central ac and would try and maintain a temperature of 75 degrees +/- 5 and considering winter is coming (in my GOT voice).

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have and use the fans I linked too.

Simply exhausting to the attic will not work unless your attic has enough exhaust/outside ventilation/holes and even if you pressurize the attic you'll get CFM exhaust drop due to restrictions unless you have some serious outside vents.

Just something to think about.

You have a TON of heat to exhaust you're going to need to measure sq/ft of ventilation to attic, out of attic, etc... not just guess.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I have and use the fans I linked too.

Simply exhausting to the attic will not work unless your attic has enough exhaust/outside ventilation/holes and even if you pressurize the attic you'll get CFM exhaust drop due to restrictions unless you have some serious outside vents.

Just something to think about.

You have a TON of heat to exhaust you're going to need to measure sq/ft of ventilation to attic, out of attic, etc... not just guess.
I'm most likely not going to be able to pressurize the attic another though I had was doing the exhaust from the room and using duct to lead it outside. We have a flat attic with about 2 ft in between the ceiling and the actual padding for the roof so it wouldn't be much for me to exhaust it straight outside.

What do you think would work for that? keeping in mind that any vents/fans we put cannot go on the side of the building due to it being brick so id have to cut a whole on the roof and implement something.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inli...89097&sr=8-15&keywords=8"+fan&tag=servecom-20

They make 10" too.

Perfect for in-line duct exhaust. Run multiple. I've personally run them 15hrs a day all over summer months.

I use one in my office, I got another 8" (silent model) that's lower CFM but near silent.. end up using it at LAN parties to exhaust heat from the room ;) since it doesn't affect mics or sound in-game.

They're super cheap, and you can get duct cheap too to test it out :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
This is will be next summer project ( If I am still mining ), I have a outdoor cover porch to hose the homemade pod
Check this youtube video out.

I am fortunate that I have 2 x external double door in my family room to exhaust hot air easily.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inline-Variable-Controller-Ventilation/dp/B01DXYMM2I/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1508889097&sr=8-15&keywords=8"+fan&tag=servecom-20

They make 10" too.

Perfect for in-line duct exhaust. Run multiple. I've personally run them 15hrs a day all over summer months.

I use one in my office, I got another 8" (silent model) that's lower CFM but near silent.. end up using it at LAN parties to exhaust heat from the room ;) since it doesn't affect mics or sound in-game.

They're super cheap, and you can get duct cheap too to test it out :)
Sounds like a good deal man! ill go ahead and try a few of those out on my other room setup. Just need to figure out how to water proof everything once it gets on the roof side. Our roof likes to hold water a bit so ill need to find a way to get it a few inches off the roof ducting wise.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
This is will be next summer project ( If I am still mining ), I have a outdoor cover porch to hose the homemade pod
Check this youtube video out.

I am fortunate that I have 2 x external double door in my family room to exhaust hot air easily.
That impressive good thing you don't have to worry about the fans being rained on.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I would need to do something like this at a friends house... too many neighbors too close... would be too many noise complaints...

Chris

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Well this is what I have so far, still need to put all of the exhaust in tomorrow also note its 21,120 watts not 44,000 watts. Let me know what you think I have 4 x 30 amp pdu's on the shelves now each going to be pulling 24 amps a pop.

Right now I have:

2 x MaxxAir HVFF 20S REDUPS Shroud Floor Fan, 20-Inch, Red
2 x VIVOSUN 8 Inch 740 CFM Duct Inline Fan with Variable Speed Controller

I plan to plug everything up on Thursday and see how the temperature goes. If I need to add more exhaust I will or add more fans I will. There is no door on the room right now which is 80 sq ft and I plan on putting a shutter door to keep air flow from the hallway.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Just a guess here and don't know the math on the size of the room and how many air change per period of time you need but I would bet you are going to need more exhuast. Sounds like you are prepared for that so let us know how it goes. And of course show us all that hardware lined up and running with audio so we hear how crazy loud are those fans running are.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Just a guess here and don't know the math on the size of the room and how many air change per period of time you need but I would bet you are going to need more exhuast. Sounds like you are prepared for that so let us know how it goes. And of course show us all that hardware lined up and running with audio so we hear how crazy loud are those fans running are.
This is how it sounds now Vocaroo | Voice message

Reactions: StammesOpfer