Advice used enterprise switch for POE cameras and wifi ACs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alitech

Feb 14, 2020
I have a bit of a wish list and I am totally clueless on which things to pay attention to.

I intend to use the switch for 4 PCs, 9 POE cameras, 3 wifi ACs and loads of wired peripherals such as smart light hubs, automation hubs etc. I'd like to go for 48 ports to ensure I dont need to worry about upgrading anytime soon.

On ebay, I can see a hundred options, of which I am not sure what to pick.

Here is the wishlist.

1. 48 ports

2. Gigabit

3. POE+

4. Manageable depth as I will wall mount it facing the ports downward (some are super deep)

5. 803.2at high power for the ACs

6. Managed

7. a couple of 10GB ports (not sfp) would be a nice to have

8. Not hugely power hungry with multiple PSUs and fans blasting away (apart from the actual POE draw)

Any ideas on which older enterprise data center stuff I should consider? Anything I should look out for? I am not fussed about brands

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Your list is mostly doable with the ICX6450-48P. The depth is about 15 inches so that should fall under "manageable". The 10gb ports are sfp+, but adapters are relatively cheap and to get 10gb copper on a switch meeting all the other requirements means increasing the price several times over.

Currently you can get these for well under $200

The thread linked below has a ton of good information on this line of switches. Do some reading before pulling the trigger, but these are certainly the go to switches on STH currently.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...s-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/

Alitech

Feb 14, 2020
This is exactly what I was looking for thanks a lot. I just purchased ICX6450-48P on ebay in the UK for £130. Cant wait to give it a try