Advice regarding ESXi, WiFi and pfSense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boris

May 16, 2015
Hello Sirs,

Maybe you can give me any advice.
As i know ESXi does not support ANY existing WiFi adapter. But i am planning to build a ESXi host with no physical access to LAN, so VM running inside it should access internet via WiFi.

My idea:
Adding PCI-e WiFi adapter to host.
PCI pass-thru it to VM there pfSense will be installed.
Share WiFi internet to VM over pfSense.

I am not familiar with pfSense, but i guess it possible to configure it that way?

Thank you for any advice or tip.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
pfSense is not compatible with many WiFi cards and many people would recommend against doing so. It's generally recommended to use a access point.

Though some still do so none the less, I would not.

The above was directly regarding the pfSense part of your question.

Reactions: Boris

Boris

May 16, 2015
WiFi adapter mean leass cables around computer. But thank you, i didn't know about WiFi/pfSense troubles. But i didn't order any card, maybe it's possible to find compatible. At least if i find a list of compatible.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I don't know if pf-sense is a great idea, but you could do the same as what I'm doing. I got a TP-Link WR841N with OpenWRT for around 25 euro and I have it configured as a client and it is connected to a switch and then to my PC.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Providing access to WiFi via a WAP in client mode is my recommended method. You can still do this on a vlan (assuming you have a vlan capable switch) and run a firewall on the esxi box. Think router-on-a-stick configuration. You could also just plug the WAP into a physical Ethernet port on the esxi box too.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
+1 to using a dedicated access point (or technically a wireless bridge in this case). I have never had any luck getting pfSense and Wifi to work properly together. Just plug it into one of the LAN ports and isolate to just the WAN side of pfSense. This could also give you the option to VPN into the access point to remotely manage the ESXi box (or the pfSense VM) if required.

Boris

May 16, 2015
Thank you, Sirs, for your response. To be honest i am surprised. I didn't use pfSense before, but according to positive feedback i read about it - i decide it may do everything you want.
Physical access point was my first decision, but later i decide "let make it more IT and more compact".

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
It is something you could certainly try. To be fair the issue isn't really pfSense it is FreeBSD. If you have a card on this list you should be okay

FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE Hardware Notes

Worth a try if you don't mind playing. Back when I tried it the wireless would make it crash/kernel panic so I gave up. Maybe the newer FreeBSD release in the latest pfSense version is a bit more stable.

Edit: Updated link to jump to wireless section.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I got it to "work" using a dedicated firewall platform and one of the Atheros-based cards on the FreeBSD compatibility list, but the wireless throughput was terrible by comparison to the Asus RT-16N I was trying to replace. After about a week of trying to tune pfsense to improve the crappy connectivity I just plugged the damn AP into a dedicated port and created a second set of firewall rules.

Not worth the trouble - wish I could have that week of my life back.

Boris

May 16, 2015
It's depends which throughput you will find GOOD?
I will use it with environment with probably 5-10Mbit internet connection. And there will be almost no external LAN traffic outside of host. So my idea just to give access to internet for pair of VM via WiFi pass-thru and pfSense.

Boris

May 16, 2015
So. I decide to give it a try. Thanks Entz for list. I just order TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 from that list.
If it does not work at all or work bad i will finally have spare PCI-e Wireless adapter at home. :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I got it to "work" using a dedicated firewall platform and one of the Atheros-based cards on the FreeBSD compatibility list, but the wireless throughput was terrible by comparison to the Asus RT-16N I was trying to replace. After about a week of trying to tune pfsense to improve the crappy connectivity I just plugged the damn AP into a dedicated port and created a second set of firewall rules.

Not worth the trouble - wish I could have that week of my life back.
OHHH the calamity...LMFAO over here that was good!