Advice on SnapRaid + DrivePool Build on W10 in SM Tower

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So a While back i was given an old SM Server that had 5400 Xeons. It's the great tower case with the the 7 or so hot swap bay in the front. I want to get started on Snapraid and Drive Pool and so want to turn this in a server. However it has not backplane. Since there's no backplane I assume i can just a 9211 or similar and just direct attach the drives right? Also i hve a Kay Lake Core I5 Still in the box that i was going to use for another build but don't need ATM. So i was thinking of the using the Kaby for this. I also have an older Enermax PSU 850 Watt from my Westmere that i could use since the Wetsmere baord is dead now. So is a Kaby an Okay choice for Snapraid. I assume the PSU is suitable it's like a bronze or something.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Drive Pool will run without issues with the Kaby Lake i5. I have been running drivepool on an old Haswell i5 without issues. Also have it running on an ivybridge xeon AIO with just 1 core and 1 GB RAM.

Havent used snapraid

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Drive Pool will run without issues with the Kaby Lake i5. I have been running drivepool on an old Haswell i5 without issues. Also have it running on an ivybridge xeon AIO with just 1 core and 1 GB RAM.

Havent used snapraid
Thanks I assume you're using something ZFS based?