advice on rackmount layout

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

digity

Jun 3, 2017
I saw a 35U rackmount server cabinet and a 1U monitor w/ keyboard and mouse for dirt cheap and decided to pick them up and throw my current home lab equipment in it. Problem is this is my first time building out a rackmount cabinet. Based on the tentative order/layout listed below (top to bottom), any recommendations to help me avoid common mistakes and headaches down the road?

#35 - 1U - rackmount patch panel
#34 - 1U - rackmount cable organizing thingie
#33 - 1U - rackmount network switch
#32 - 1U - rackmount cable organizing thingie
#31 - 1U - rackmount KVM switch
#30 - 6U - rackmount shelf to hold cable modem and microATX desktop computer running pfSense/firewall
#24 - 2U - empty/available
#22 - 1U - rackmount monitor w/ keyboard and mouse
#21 - 4U - rackmount server (Norco RPC-4224) running FreeNAS
#17 - 5U - rackmount shelf to hold Dell Precision tower running ESXi/hypervisor
#12 - 5U - rackmount shelf to hold microATX mid-tower running NVR server (Windows 10, Blue Iris)
#7 - 7U - rackmount shelf to hold Synology NAS and UPS (freestanding version)

P.S. - I understand some desktop and non-rackmountable items take up unnecessary space/U's and can be replaced with a rackmount version, but I recently purchased/picked up most of my home lab items so replacing them won't happen for at least a couple of years.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would put the heaviest system on the bottom and lightweight gear at the top.
Rackmount ups (bottom) > 2-5u rackmount storage chassis or servers > 1u servers > 1u networking devices (top).

WARNING: I don't work with server racks/cabinets, got recently my first (sound proofed) server rack and could be wrong with my post.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
in the past, I have had all of the networking and KVM gear in the middle of the rack.

this helped in a few things.
1) was easier to manage since it was not at the top of the rack
2) cut my cable mess in half because half of the cable runs were now half the length.

but with most of my stuff in DC... that I do not manage... they do the standard all KVM/network gear at the top of the rack.

Chris

digity

Jun 3, 2017
Interesting. What about servers/computers (heavier items) being closer to the ground and getting more dust sucked into them?

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Interesting. What about servers/computers (heavier items) being closer to the ground and getting more dust sucked into them?
Any amount of dust is better than the rack falling over from being too top-heavy.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
in the past, I have had all of the networking and KVM gear in the middle of the rack.

this helped in a few things.
1) was easier to manage since it was not at the top of the rack
2) cut my cable mess in half because half of the cable runs were now half the length.
agreed, middle of rack is much nicer to work on.