Advice on Media/Plex Server

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by ajamils, May 1, 2018.

1. ajamils

ajamils New Member

I've had a HTPC (i5, 16gb RAM) and the mobo finally died so I'm trying to put together a media server that can server dual purpose as Plex/Kodi media server and also a repo for my music and pictures.

Here are my requirements
    - Powerful enough to be able to transcode 4K mkvs
    - Download/index new media
    - Serve content to connected devices around the house
    - Backup my files from desktop
    - Budget < $500 (not including the drives)
    - FreeNas or UnRaid (not sure about this one yet)

I am looking at LGA 2011-V3 processors but not sure which one would be good. Similarly SuperMicro boards seem to be going for good prices but having never built a server before not sure about the specs. As for the case, I and looking at Rosewill 4u server chassis or similarly spec tower case (so that i can fit it in smaller space)

2. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Well-Known Member

When you say needs to be able to transcode 4K mkvs, how many at a time are we talking?

3. ajamils

ajamils New Member

Two at max. Most of the time, I should be able to do Direct play via Shield/Xbone X.

4. IamSpartacus

5. ajamils

ajamils New Member

6. IamSpartacus

I just reread your post and saw you're looking at the LGA 2011-v3 platform. My first thought is it's going to be extremely hard if not impossible to find an E5 v3 + motherboard and RAM for $500. You're probably looking at close to $1000+ for that platform.

If $500 is really your budget you're going to need to drastically change the CPU/MoBo requirements.

7. ajamils

ajamils New Member

LGA 2011-V3 was just something that I was looking at but I'm open to suggestions .

I am evening thinking about just putting together a Rizen rig to revive my HTPC and attaching a drobo (which I already own) for extra space instead of building a server.

8. IamSpartacus

I think a build based off a Xeon E3 would be a good option for you. A Xeon E3 + motherboard would run you about $450-$500. unRAID is a great option for a Plex/media storage server, I'd personally go that way. I have two unRAID servers and they are great.

But then again, I just built a pretty badass Ryzen rig myself so...

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...nimalist-sma8-a-wcd-threadripper-build.18613/

9. maze

maze Active Member

Would an e3 even be able to transcode one 4k stream fully?

Or Are you planning on adding a dedicated gpu for that task?

10. K D

K D Well-Known Member

E3-1275v6 is able to transcode 1 4k stream fine. I've not tried more. However GPU transcoding is the way to go. An old 980ti handles transcoding like a champ for me.

11. maze

maze Active Member

Doesnt that cpu run you in quite a Big amount of $ though?

Im wondering What model Quadro card one would need to handle 4 4k transcodes.. Got any ideas?

12. K D

K D Well-Known Member

13. K D

K D Well-Known Member

Hit send too quickly.

I have very less 4k content and rarely have more than one remote stream playing. Local streams are all direct play. Some of the low end Quadro cards support only 2 transcodes like the GeForce cards. The link has the details.

TheE3-1240v5 is also able to support one 4k stream. I've not tried more. I mentioned the 1275 first because that's What's in my main media server. With e3, definitely go for one with the igpu. Makes a big difference in transcoding speeds. I know cpu transcoding yields a better picture quality but for me, the difference is not noticeable as I'm usually on a crappy network when I'm remote and sometimes even have to transcode to 480p.

14. maze

maze Active Member

Yeah. Iv stumbled onto that matrix before.. just not onto anything that Can tell me what i actually need to achieve what number of streams :/

15. beatle

beatle New Member

I found that it's not really worth investing in the hardware to transcode 4K. I'd rather invest in capacity and create optimized (pre-transcoded) versions of my 4K content so that those can direct play. This lets me use a puny X5670 in my server and still support all of my Plex endpoints.