Advice on mb/cpu combo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PipeHitter

Feb 12, 2017
Greetings all. Looking to assemble a low power/noise home server. Would appreciate any advice/opinions on my motherboard/cpu choice. I listed pricing for what I can source them for. If you know of a better value for performance I'd like to hear it. Not stuck on lga2011, especially as I still don't get usb3.0. I'd like to stay around $400-500 for both mb and cpu.

I plan on installing into a tower with 120mm fans in order to keep noise down. Single CPU as system will most likely idle more than not and would like to keep idle power consumption on the lower side.

Software: ESXI - Would like to be able to run several VM consisting of plex, unifi controller, minimal windows server for windows client backups, game servers (ark survival, minecraft, gmod), and the occasional testing VM of random linux distro or windows OS.

Hardware:
Supermicro x9srl-f ($269.00)
E5-2660v2 ($125.00)
6x4gb DDR3 PC10600 1333mhz (free)

Notes: Memory came out of a R710 so I'm hoping to reuse it. I plan on increasing memory as necessary. IPMI is a must for me. Will likely use SSD for esxi/vm and then storage on 2tb red for now. Plan on freenas box in near future.

Thanks for taking a look and for any advice!

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
First off what are you looking to run/how do you envision using the system? Will it be always on? Located in the US, EU, AU, elsewhere?

PipeHitter

Feb 12, 2017
First off what are you looking to run/how do you envision using the system? Will it be always on? Located in the US, EU, AU, elsewhere?
Will be running a few vm on esxi. Plex, unifi controller, the occasional gaming server and test vm(s). Always on, and located in the US. Thanks for reply.

PipeHitter

Feb 12, 2017
Well, I've went ahead and purchased the MB and CPU..and so far so good. However, one item I did not anticipate is the x9srl-f requiring a PMBus compliant PSU in order to monitor power consumption via IPMI. Does anyone have a recommendation on a PSU that would comply AND be compatible with a standard tower? I would prefer 80+ Platinum. I've found plenty for 1/2u racks chassis but no luck on towers. TIA.