Advice on component purchases

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 16, 2019
So I want to build a mid-size server stack. Never purchased server components in volume before. I need advice on purchasing at volume so I can stretch my dollar as far as it will go.

I'm in Canada, and looking to buy ~100 Epyc 7702P's, 25 SuperMicro 2014TP-HTR barebone servers, and associated Memory, storage, cabling, switches, etc.

Now, I can call up CDW or PC-Canada or any one of 20 other vendors, but my account manager will be able to spot me as a mark 30 seconds in because of my inexperience.

How can I ensure I'm getting best value for my dollar? How can I avoid being taken for a mark?

When I'm shopping around for quotes, do I tell account managers who else I'm talking to? Do I even mention I'm talking to other vendors?

Do I request quotes for all components at once? Or do I request quotes on one component at a time?

What kind of discount off MSRP can I expect for buying 100 7702P's at once? Or all components at once? Especially if I'm looking to expand the server farm over time?

Thanks in advance?

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
My advice is to finalize your requirements, then send out RFQ to each distributor. Once you get numbers from each one then you can decide who is overcharging or not. It's also helpful to maintain a spreadsheet of at-cost prices (the price resellers pay). You can inquire about this directly from the component manufacturer, if it's not posted somewhere in a review already. Then factor in a "fair" profit for the reseller, tax, and delivery costs. Just like when purchasing a vehicle, do not tell the distributors you are shopping around until they give you a price then negotiate from there.

Reactions: Hydrogen_Bombaklot
Jul 16, 2019
My advice is to finalize your requirements, then send out RFQ to each distributor. Once you get numbers from each one then you can decide who is overcharging or not. It's also helpful to maintain a spreadsheet of at-cost prices (the price resellers pay). You can inquire about this directly from the component manufacturer, if it's not posted somewhere in a review already. Then factor in a "fair" profit for the reseller, tax, and delivery costs. Just like when purchasing a vehicle, do not tell the distributors you are shopping around until they give you a price then negotiate from there.
Thank you, this is helpful.

I never considered finding out the at-cost price from manufacturers. I've never noticed them in reviews.

I won't be necessarily looking for the absolute cheapest price - but a good price paired with an account manager who can work with me to find what I need, and with a company I can rely on for reliable repeat business.

My strategy with buying cars has always been to let them know I'm shopping around, but never to let them know where else I'm looking. As soon as salesmen know I know how to use autotrader the negotiations become a lot more productive.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Forgot to add that you should also reach out to the usual OEM suspects, Dell, HPE, Lenovo and get quotes from them also for fully built systems with SLAs. Then do a CBA on whether the a warranty and service contract is worth it. It usually is for an enterprise. While building, configuring and servicing all those servers is fun, I’ve seen many heads roll when it can’t be adequately explained by the system is down and why outside consultants need to be hired to clean up a mess. This is coming from being one of those damage control consultants for many years, and also having chopped off heads before. :D

Reactions: Hydrogen_Bombaklot
Jul 16, 2019
Forgot to add that you should also reach out to the usual OEM suspects, Dell, HPE, Lenovo and get quotes from them also for fully built systems with SLAs. Then do a CBA on whether the a warranty and service contract is worth it. It usually is for an enterprise. While building, configuring and servicing all those servers is fun, I’ve seen many heads roll when it can’t be adequately explained by the system is down and why outside consultants need to be hired to clean up a mess. This is coming from being one of those damage control consultants for many years, and also having chopped off heads before. :D
I considered it, but the cost premium is significant. I don't have huge wads of cash for this, which is why I'm fine building the servers by hand. I'll have staff for maintenance anyways, and no single node is so critical I can't be without for a week or 2 waiting on warranty parts.

The uniformity of the cluster will be a plus, and I'll have hot spares on site too. The only issue I'm really worried about is networking - and I'll hire a contractor to design, deploy, and when necessary upgrade or service the network.

Reactions: juddle14