advice needed - surge protection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Okay, so with buying a house comes another thing ... my new 22u rack! :)

I want to protect the stuff in it as much as possible.

Anyone got any recommendations on surge protection?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I have a whole house surge protector in my breaker box, I assume it does something. In addition, you will probably run UPS systems, that has surge protection built in as well. The batteries are nice for your eventual file servers.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Depends on your budget.

They make cheap $25-100$ surge protectors, and they make $500+ ones made work faster/better.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I'd say since you are moving into a (for you) new house, it might be worth it to do it properly, I am pretty certain that LK makes the type of surge protectors that Chuckleb mentions, if you talk to your local electrician they might be able to do that for you.
That would be the best solution in my opinion, as it is general for everything.

If you want to do it properly, you should keep in mind alternative problem "vectors", such as xDSL modems and try to electrically separate them using fiber optics or something else.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

@RTM + @Chuckleb - Will check out a proper one for the entire house. Would be the best option for sure.

We'll be having fiber put into the house so that's one crossed off the list :)

Reactions: Patriot

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I can't recommend a specific model since they vary by country, but for a whole house surge protector look into: type 2 surge protection

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
A whole house is simply step 1, it's not the 'answer' to your question.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I'm kind of over-kill on surge/protection since we have so many issues in winter...

- Whole House Surge
- 120v Surge
- 120v AVR
- 120v On-Line Pure Sine Wave UPS

On some equipment I skip the 120v surge since AVR from Tripp-LIte has basic protection too.

One thing I learned the hard way is that not all Tripp-Lite AVR's will "correct" the same % so BE SURE to check into that when comparing, if you go for an AVR.

I don't have the "high end" rack mount, faster switching surge, some day :)

Also, if you spend the $$ on a nice On-Line Sine Wave UPS you can get them with management/monitoring too! So you can check power usage per-port, reboot, etc...

Check ebay the on-line ups are not cheap but at-least they're 50% off new, I even got a Liebert under support contract.... too bad the batteries were past their coverage when I checked :) my buddy did get a weird reply when asking the rep about warranty since the device was registered on the East coast, and we're in CA... lol!!

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Don't run anything that gets its signal from a metallic object outdoors or is in any way grounded to something else outside on the same circuit as the rack. Cable modem, DSL modem, water softener, washing machine, TV tuner, antenna amplifier etc.

Isolate your server rack completely from your access rack via fiber, as well as power. Always use separate switches for your access network (goes out to networked devices around the house) and your server network. You would be surprised how many times I have seen a failed device throw power onto Ethernet that then goes to the switch. Don't even mount your access network switch in the same rack because of the ground through the rack ears.

From there, whole house surge and a UPS with surge, avr and true sine wave output. I prefer a "online" UPS but they can be $$$. It is nice changing batteries without taking the unit down though.

Reactions: T_Minus