Advice needed on home server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foo99

Nov 17, 2017
Hello guys, I need an advice about a small home server build. I just went to the uni and the main purpose of the build is to test/learn. What I would like is to test/play with xen virtualization, test some diferent vpn builds, mysql.. well more or less play with all server applications and use it for some storage, no movies streaming or gaming. The system will be used by 3-4 users. Because of the electricity consumption I'm thinking about Intel Atom as a CPU. The c3000 looks fantastic but I can't find an EU seller with prices. C2000 I believe will do the job but don't know if the new ones with the fixed stepping are on the market already. Can you guys give me an a advice about the CPU part, this is what i cant decide because of lack of knowledge.. The rest of the setup will be probably 8/16ecc ram, 2x2TB hdd for software raid (maybe later when i save more money i can buy hardware one but for now i'm saving just for the motherboard) and maybe small ssd for the os. Probably the heaviest load will come from the virtualization when 2 or 3 users ate the same time use it. Apologies if I sound silly.. any advice would be appreciated.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
The new ones should have the steppings fixed. The C3000 are in short supply at the moment. I don't see why an Atom/Pentium/low end i3 in a mITX format shouldn't work. You may want to stay with DDR3 RAM in whatever solution as DDR4 is pretty high at the moment. How much RAM will be dependent on how many VMs you run at once. What is the base OS you will be running?

Reactions: chaostheorem