Advice needed for Remote Control software

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Hello! I would like to get advice from this forum in terms of the remote control software that can bring best experience when using within LAN environment. Currently I have several computers at home and I just want to use one set of keyboard and mouse. I would like to control the other PCs through remote control software. Which one can give me the closest experience like attaching the KB and mouse directly to the remote PC (fast response with unnoticeable delay, screen resolution, etc.). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Windows systems ? RDP terminal services
Unix systems ? Tunnel X sessions, VNC is free
Mac ? Maybe teemviewer ... not so sure on that.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Yes, I am using Windows. RDP is fine but just want to see if there is any option that I am not aware of. And try to get a sense which one performs better under LAN environment.

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
Are you missing anything in your LAN? For WAN I can understand that you probably want something with better compression, but in a fully switched gigabit environment RDP should be fast.

Regards
Markus

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Thanks all. Currently using RDP and the speed is acceptable. RDP doesn't support some software using OpenGL (Like Autodesk Maya). I will try the Ulterius sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I use No Machine at times but that is expressly for accessing my OSX server from a Windows machine. It works quite well but there are a few scenarios where I get a double mouse cursor that is annoying (accessing a windows VM from a vcenter console). For Windows I only ever use RDP. I did experiment with VMware Horizon for a while (you can use the view client in direct mode, you don't need the server element) but I didn't see any great benefit as I remember (USB key sharing may have been better as I recollect).