Advice for a switch >= 24ports / 1gb

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Hi,

I own a Netgear GS116v2 (16 ports 1gb). All ports are used and I frequently see interface going from 1000mb to 100mb. Usually, I just unplug/plug the RJ45 jack and it gets back to 1000mb but I suspect this switch is a little bit under performing for my setup.

I am looking for a switch with at least 24 ports, 1gb per ports (if a couple of 10gb are available that is good, but I already have a dedicated one ofr 10gb), very reliable and passive (no fan, or with a fan I can change for a super quieter one). Everything else is a plus (like admin function) but not mandatory.

What could you advise me ?

Cheers,

S.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
If you are okay with buying used, you could get a Ruckus ICX7150, the 24 and 48 port non-poe versions are fanless (the 12 port PoE is fanless too, and the 24 and 48 port PoE versions have a silent mode that disables fans after boot with a smaller power budget). Most if not all of the models have SFP's that with the proper license make them support SFP+ 10G, they are often available for not that much money used with the proper licenses (look for 2x10G or 4x10GR at the end of the model no.), and while I won't recommend it, the license is supposedly honor based and should not require more than the proper command. There is a bunch of information available in the Brocade icx megathread.
Reasons why to recommend: it is an actual enterprise grade switch, updates are freely available (though you will need an account) and it supports L3 features.

If you are looking to buy new (or insist on it), Mikrotik's CRS326 (or CSS326) switches are cheap, have 10G sfp+'s, fanless and work quite well (I will certainly take a Mikrotik over a Netgear most of the time(Netgear makes some higher end switches, that I am not quite sure how well they work, hence the "most of the time")). Mind you the CRS/CSS326 switches are not L3 switches (patch notes for the beta firmware for CRS326 suggests that it may be getting it in the future), but then they are cheaper than most other devices new.

Other honorable mentions:
HPE Aruba 1930's are not terribly expensive and also fanless (non-POE only)

All switches I have mentioned support management.

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
Buy a Cisco small business L3 switch. The SG350 or SG350X are fairly cheap on ebay. The newer Cisco CBS350 models will be good. Free firmware support for the life of the switch since this is small business.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
thanks for your answer !
I already own a 4 ports 10gb SFP from Mikrotik. I am happy with it but I need more ports and ideally on one applicance rather than many.
I found some interested thread about Brocade switch. Looks very interesting !