Advice about NVMe U2 card / backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Hello,

I am a little bit a newbie about SAS U2 card but I am looking for a RAID controller or HBA able to support multiple U2 SSD, at least 4, but 8 will be ideal.

Do you have any advice on such device ?

Cheers,

Serge

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Broadcom 9460-16i (9560-16i if you want PCIe 4.0) or HighPoint SSD7120 will do what you want, though things get complex when you need more than 4 devices. This is possible on the 9460-16i, however it involves PCIe switches and such.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Thanks for the heads up !

I saw those one (I should have look earlier on the site...) : https://www.servethehome.com/4-solutions-tested-add-2-5-sff-nvme-current-system/
I am especially interested in the Intel one as with 2 cards I can drive 8 hdd. By reading the article, I found that it may not be compatible with my systems (either an Asus Z10PA-D8 or a Supermicro X10SDV (one card for this one)).

Does it exists the same kind of cards with a wider compatibility ? I know this kind of solution are going to be a mess of cables compare to a backplane, but I will be able to have a better airflow (the system need to be as silent as possible).

If anyone has a good reference of backplane for at least 4 U2 drives, I will look into it for sure !

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
All the cards listed in the article require PCIe bifurcation support. If your motherboard doesn't, you can get an HBA with a PLX chip that will take care of that for you. They are more expensive however. An example would be the Supermicro SLG3-4E2P.

If you want RAID, then you'll need something like I mentioned in my prior post.

As for backplanes, they're normally chassis specific, so you can't just pick and choose one. There are a few 5.25" to 2.5" hot-swap solutions that might fit your needs if you're putting this in a desktop. Here's an example (be sure to read their FAQ for limitations): MB699VP-B_ToughArmor Series_U.2/M.2 (SATA/PCIE NVME) ENCLOSURES OR KITS_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Super clear BlueFox ! I will verify if my motherboard support PCIe bifurcation. I made some research and saw that UEFI BIOS patch are made in some case, but I haven't spent enough time yet on this subject.
The Supermicro you reference is not that expensive, I found it around 150usd.It can only drive 4 drives, but I can easily use 2 of them, with some airflow on top and have 8 disks. A mess of cables, but 8 disks... ;).

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Use the STH "Search" function, and look for AOC-SLG3-8E2P . [8 drives from one PCIe g3 x16 slot]

And "Search" for AOC-SLG3-4 for other (4 drive) variants.