EU ADi-SA2X-BE (HP T730 equivalent) £55.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AK360

Feb 25, 2021
Is it likely that it runs VMWare ESXi 7.0?

Sounds really great.

EDIT:
What I found out, T730 can run ESXi 6.7. 7.0 not possible as of realteak card, but this device has Intel i210.
Unoffically supports 32GB RAM.
Sorry haven't tried but the onboard nics are definitely intel. Would probably support 16GB DIMMS but haven't tried.

N.B. It also has an internal Mini-PCIe slot which could be used for WiFi i'm guessing.

Reactions: Samir

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Sorry haven't tried but the onboard nics are definitely intel. Would probably support 16GB DIMMS but haven't tried.

N.B. It also has an internal Mini-PCIe slot which could be used for WiFi i'm guessing.
Is it SODIMM?

Datamonkeh

Jan 25, 2021
I thin he is refering to the pfsense + wireguard drama.
TL;DR is that Netgate, the maintainers of pfSense, paid a developer to create a Wireguard implementation that would be compatible with FreeBSD. But the creator of wireguard looked at the code, and he felt like it was poor quality. And it went of from there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/m6zjie
Briefly, Netgate hired Matt 'Kip' Macy, either they did no background checking, or decided to ignore his felony convictions for theft, burglary, stalking and bail jumping that reportedly cost his mother $500K. You have to wonder why Netgate and Matt refused to engage with Jason and chose to trust its reputation and it's users security to someone with such a questionable track record? Thats before his code sucked and Netgate voted spleen or the historic hate campaigns they have been involved with.

I like pf (OK 2.5 hasn't been fun), but I just want my firewall distro not to be a place of really horrible decisions and toxicity - nobody needs that and this shouldn't be a thing :(

Reactions: Samir and Yunia

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
The power supply appears to be 14 pins, so not ATX. Does anyone know the pinout?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hi All,

Mine arrived and I have to say I'm very impressed really well made, pretty much silent 2x i210 intel Nics built in. Happily accepts Mellanox 25Gb Nics. runs pfSense great.
Really? What does it look like in-situ? Do you have photos of it in operation? What does the power consumption look like, and which version of pfsense are you on?

AK360

Feb 25, 2021
Really? What does it look like in-situ? Do you have photos of it in operation? What does the power consumption look like, and which version of pfsense are you on?
It's not a looker but equally not too ugly. It's the size of a games console but square, boxy and black. The only side that has anything other than vents is the back panel. It's heavy and solid! I would take pictures but its now tucked away in its new home under the stairs. Power was 30w in bios and 11w idle with pfSense version 2.5.

Edit: those power numbers are without 25Gb Nic fitted.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
It's not a looker but equally not too ugly. It's the size of a games console but square, boxy and black. The only side that has anything other than vents is the back panel. It's heavy and solid! I would take pictures but its now tucked away in its new home under the stairs. Power was 30w in bios and 11w idle with pfSense version 2.5.

Edit: those power numbers are without 25Gb Nic fitted.
Hmm...how is it ventilated, and what's the heat production like? Any notable fan noise or particular challenges?

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
@AK360 Would you mind checking the BIOS Options? TPM should be available, any hints for IOMMU or SR-IOV?

I contacted the manufacturer for the latest BIOS Update. Lets see if they can provide that for individuals.

AK360

Feb 25, 2021
@AK360 Would you mind checking the BIOS Options? TPM should be available, any hints for IOMMU or SR-IOV?

I contacted the manufacturer for the latest BIOS Update. Lets see if they can provide that for individuals.
Hi, yes TPM is definitely there, I don't remember seeing SR-IOV or IOMMU but I wasn't looking for them. The unit is now in service as my main router under my stairs and barricaded by a washing machine so sorry I'm not going to dig it out and check :)

Hmm...how is it ventilated, and what's the heat production like? Any notable fan noise or particular challenges?
Really quiet, would be happy to have on my desktop. heat wise has a lot of cooling vents and never gets hot (even tucked away in a sealed cupboard with a washing machine)

Alex

Reactions: Samir and Xeroxxx

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
My two devices will be shipped this weekend according to the seller.

AK360 and I checked if AMD-Vi is possible. It is. SVM Flag is available. Hope its possible to use SR-IOV and the manufacturer responds to BIOS request.

Last edited: