Adding more disks for storage spaces

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rosaage

Sep 25, 2019
Hello,
I got 9* 8tb disks today in the mail. And was wondering how I should add them to my existing system. I currently have 5* 2tb drives in a storage pool with a ReFS volume.

What would be the best way to include the new disks? Merging them into the current pool? Making a new pool and adding both to the volume? Or something else?

I'm thinking about using 8 of them and 1 as a spare is this a good idea? Or should I just use all 9 of them?
I'm running 2012 r2

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I would add them as a 2nd StoragePool. then migrate the data to the new pool.

even though you have existing disks Storage Spaces does not really function well with different sized drives. as the default behavior with the create disk wizard defaults to using the smallest available space.

are you planning on a single or double redundancy?

Chris

rosaage

Sep 25, 2019
Yeah.. A new one is probably the solution. I'm using it for video storage with plex, so single redundancy is probably enough?
I have a lot of 600gb 15k disks too, but I'm guessing it's not worth it with cache for slow sequential video?