Adding a SAS Expander to an existing HW RAID array

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I currently have an 8 SAS drive array running on a 2port card that doesn't support IT Mode flashing, so I am still using HW RAID unfortunately, in Windows at that....

My question is: Will I lose the array and all data by connecting an Expander in between the RAID card and the current drives/array ?
How transparent is the Expander and will it force me to reconstruct the array and put the data at risk ?

I realize that this might seem like asking a Win98se question on a Win10 Forum, so I apologize.
The LSI card has suited me well over the years and I don't really have a reason to replace it, other than to expand things a bit.

As an aside, I did try and simply add a second identical RAID card (matching model, firmware etc, as I have a few) and a secondary array into the machine, but am now facing resource conflicts, most notably Network connectivity throughput issues when feeding the file server, so a 2nd card has already been tried and is currently failing fantastically, which leads me to believe that it's a PCIe resource problem, so an expander seems easy if I can save the current array and simply add more drives for the future.

Lastly, as my primary array runs SAS2 drives, I would like to add a secondary array onto the expander using cheaper SATA3 NAS drives if possible. Not mixing drives within arrays, but keeping the same type of drive within each array. Is this possible ?

thanks in advance,
Allan

Allan74

May 15, 2019
The hardware in question:

Current Card - LSI 9261-8i
Current Drives - 8x SAS Constellations
Future Expander - IBM/Lenovo/LSI based 6 port (2x4)
Drives to add - 2x SATA arrays using SATA Constellations and SATA Ironwolfs.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
No, you won't lose your array. BUT you might get a warning or notification that the sas adresses have changed but the controller should have no problems with the raid volume(s)

To you question about sata drives with a raid controller + expander; that's a pretty common use case and should be no problem.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
No, you won't lose your array. BUT you might get a warning or notification that the sas adresses have changed but the controller should have no problems with the raid volume(s)
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease.
To you question about sata drives with a raid controller + expander; that's a pretty common use case and should be no problem.
It's more about mixing SAS and SATA drives on the Expander, like 1 SAS array and 1 or 2 smaller SATA arrays on the same RAID Card/Expander.
(not mixing SAS and SATA in an individual array, but mixing SAS and SATA arrays on the same 'backplane' scenario, if that makes sense)

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I was actually able to pickup an Expander, but I appreciate the offer none the less.